Ford buyers beware

I’d say maybe 75% of trucks in my close family have been the 5.4 both 2v and 3v since 1998 to present with a couple still in use. The only ones that didn’t make 250k or more were from collisions or just trading in for newer and shinier model (Expedition with 180k on the odometer). I can’t think of anything close to major problems with them or their transmissions. Breaking spark plugs during changes is a different story.

I’d say maybe 75% of trucks in my close family have been the 5.4 both 2v and 3v since 1998 to present with a couple still in use. The only ones that didn’t make 250k or more were from collisions or just trading in for newer and shinier model (Expedition with 180k on the odometer). I can’t think of anything close to major problems with them or their transmissions. Breaking spark plugs during changes is a different story.
Not every one of the trucks are going to exhibit problems. It was just the possibility of getting a lemon is higher with those years than any other years. If you do a basic Carfax and a service report on the truck you can get an idea of the history of that particular vehicle. If the service records have a high amount of repairs then you probably want to stay away from that one. He just told me to tell your friend to look for models that were in those years in particular. Like I said not because everyone will be bad it's just the chance of a problem truck was higher, much higher.

chevy trucks.jpg

A a few deer were standing over in the grass alongside the road and I slowed down and got in the other lane because I could see a pretty good long distance away and I don't think I slowed down enough and one of the deer change directions immediately and shot straight into my passenger door. It didn't make any scratches or damage to the paint but it just caved in the door skin. I had to wait 2 months for them to get a door skin in. I was able to keep the truck but it just took so long to find the new door skin. And being it said GMC and the same for the Chevy I'm sure it was not easy to find due to demand of those parts.
Greg, we've had our differences but, I think you deserve a shout out. Since we've "met", I've learned a lot. As a matter of fact, I've become an expert in a number of things...
Dog Breeding
Machining metal
Gunsmithing
Reloading
Ford Trucks
Aggressive People
Neighbor skills
... the list goes on seemingly forever

and as an added bonus, you showed me exactly how to up my run on sentence game... hell, my grammar game in general! I just wanted to take a second and acknowledge you for everything you do.

Greg, we've had our differences but, I think you deserve a shout out. Since we've "met", I've learned a lot. As a matter of fact, I've become an expert in a number of things...
Dog Breeding
Machining metal
Gunsmithing
Reloading
Ford Trucks
Aggressive People
Neighbor skills
... the list goes on seemingly forever

and as an added bonus, you showed me exactly how to up my run on sentence game... hell, my grammar game in general! I just wanted to take a second and acknowledge you for everything you do.
I musta missed his dog breeding thread..

I dont even want to know or imagine….

And my ‘67 get’s better gas mileage than a new one. Yea, it’s a 240 6cyl but…. Kinda changed the subject. Currently under restoration but runs like a top ; and as quiet.
Weill I traded in my 2004 f150 with 179k miles with the triton that sounded like a diesel since hitting 90k. Did need the cam phasers but I wasn’t about to pay 3k so I figured I’d just drive it till it died. Ran fine but only got about 12mpg. Bought the 2019 f150 4x4 4dr sport on Memorial Day with 11k in incentives and they gave me 4500 for my 2004. New truck average mpg with the coyote is 19mpg. Just turned 70k.

Back
Top Bottom