• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford F150 5.0 vs 3.5 Ecoboost

You can turn that off on newer models or it cancels in Sport mode.

I’ve got a plug in at that goes in the ODB port that bypasses the auto start/stop.

Two things regarding the Ford 5 liter:

1. The common oil consumption problem (absent other issues) is the PCV valve allowing too much flow from the crankcase to the intake. My company truck received the updated Ford programming and it's no longer and issue.
  2. These trucks are programmed to disable the auto stop/start feature when towing. If your truck has a towing package you can unplug the towing wiring harness (black plug under the steering column) to disable stop/start. Plugging an adapter into the towing harness at the rear bumper may also work.

Old school would say no turbos. I have known the Ecoboost to be good. Historically I'd go with a V8. Usually a larger engine producing less power per displacement would be the longer lasting more dependable engine. Less wear going on there. The more gears in a trans is also a wear factor. Keeping things more simple will mean fewer expensive repairs, more reliability and last longer

I have a 2019 Eco boost 3.5 Cam phasers changes out at 42,000 miles. I love my truck for it's ride, looks, and fuel economy. F-150 4 x 4 Lariat with 502A package and other bells and whistles that my friends platinum doesn't have. A ford service dept friend of mine (Neighbor) told me to buy the extended warranty through FORD only, not aftermarket car warranties but to be sure to get the Ford extended Warranty because I would need it and it would save me thousands of dollars when the truck broke down. (He's retired and so it he had no reason to misrepresent any thing.) It did start sounding like a diesel when cranking, and Cam Phasers and associated parts were changed. (stayed in the dealership for 4 months waiting on parts "they said")....... I've had a water leak under the passenger side floor board that ford put a redesigned grommet there to drain the ac and the moon roof , the mirrors that self adjust hit a stop and click for a few moments when they feel like it. I have a tailgate recall that my dealer said was a pain to replace the wiring harness so If mine didn't open on it's own just leave it alone.... seems like there's another recall or two that they did already but I can't remember what it was. My 2002 Chevrolet has 225.000 miles on it and I have had to replace the alternator on it and three batteries in 22 years. I still drive it daily for work but would head to anywhere in the States except California in it. I'm confident in the Chevrolet. The Ford engine has already been into and the service guy neighbor says the ac compressor will likely go in it, but it will be some time after the Turbo craps out. My neighbor also say's the sliding window will fall out of it sooner or later. Other than that, it's the "top of the heap of junk" that passes for trucks these days. My son has a 2018 chev that has a new transmission and ac compressor plus a few thousand dollars in engine repairs to correct when it stops in the middle of the road. He also has a Ford 250 Diesel that works fine at 175,000 miles and only kills the battery if he doesn't drive it for three days. My friend from New Jersey bought a Ram Diesel and at 60,000 miles the def pump for his cummings stopped working. 28 hundred dollar repair. A bicycle is the only mode of transportation that one can maintain without getting screwed at a dealership from the moment one walks onto the lot until he leaves with a sore ass and probably a recall on his purchase already in the mailbox at home.

You have to tell me if I'm hot or cold. Don't you know how to play the game?
17.5 mpg.

IMG_4289.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom