• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford F150 5.0 vs 3.5 Ecoboost

Sold my 4Runner due to it not being able to tow my trailer. Bought an 18’ 5.0 with 90k at a good price. After the first oil change I realized it was using 2 quarts between changes. Then cam phaser rattle the dealer wanted $4k to fix. Even after I installed the catch can for blow by I still had issues. Traded it in for a Toyota 5.7, 4 months later and haven’t looked back.

I'm with you..my daily driver (purchased 3 mths ago)is a 2008 f150 4x4 , tuned 4.6 (pass on the 5.4)with 90k at the moment. Not sure if i would want my 3.5 for a daily.
I have a 2003 suburban z71 with 362,000 miles on it. Motor runs like new but its had 3 transmissions and about to be a 4th, and the notoriously weak rear end was rebuilt. It's a great truck I just wish the 4l60e wasn't made out of glass.

I had a 2021 5.0 and loved it. Just traded it for a 2023 that has the factory start/stop delete and I love it even more. The newer versions of the Coyote don’t have the oil burning issues like the older ones do. All my mechanic friends have steered me away from the Ecoboost models. They just don’t have the longevity of the traditional engines.

We run ford trucks and vans in our fleet at work of every iteration imaginable for the last 10 + years. The vehicle that has the most asses in the seat and has the highest mileage on it and gets the absolute **** kicked out of it is a 2014 f150 stx with the 5.0 in it. We also have 2 x 2022’s 4x4’s with the 5.0’s in them and a couple with the 3.5’s and 2.7’s… 5.0’s seem to be lowest maintenance out of the group and it’s a toss up after that. Biggest turd we ever had was a 2018 super duty with 6.2 gasser, absolute lemon!

Your experience is about the opposite of what most people say, not saying you’re wrong. It does seem like the earlier 6.2 engines are the most reliable, newer transmissions having issues as well. I’ve had my 2012 6.2 since new with no issues. Now that I’m not towing much, a half ton would be more suited to my needs.

You’d pretty much have to give me a new Ford and I’ve been a Ford guy my whole life. I’ve seen enough lemony problems with with every truck model they offer, tranny/engine/electronic issues aplenty. I’d take a 5.0 in the f150 or 7.3 in f250/350 given the choice, but they are not without problems. The 2 Powerstroke mechanics I know say to stay away from ecoboosts unless you plan on getting rid of them before warranty ends.

Zero up side to turbo F-150's they don't tow more they don't get better fuel economy they are not as reliable they cost more to work on. They are how ever fast as f...... the 5.0 is a good engine mainly people have problems when they do the recommended 10k mile intervals for oil changes. Or when people buy a truck with "only 60k" on it on never look at service history because it ls "low mile" this goes for any make and model vehicles. People use **** quality oil **** quality filters and these newer tighter tolerance engines and wrecks them. Lots of oil change places just use 5w30 for anything that walks through the door. Can't do that with new cars it wrecks them.

With all that being said. I'm mechanic it's how I feed my family. I would not own ANY turbo cars or trucks with the exception of a Toyota but it still wouldn't be my first engine option. For an F150 100% 5.0 but maintain it at no more then 5k mile intervals that goes for anything you get really.

Look back in the history of turbo vehicles do you see any still driving around from the 70's the 80's the 90's hell even the early 00's? No you don't they are expensive when they break and they don't get fixed they get parked and they break more often then the NA counterparts.

End rant

Back
Top Bottom