• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford F150 5.0 vs 3.5 Ecoboost

I have a 16 F150 4wd with the 5.0. Have it owned since new and it has 88k on the odometer.

Issues I have encountered so far:
-January a year ago the rear window completely shattered when I climbed in and shut the drivers door. It’s a common problem with these aluminum F150s. It was a cold 45 min drive to a safelite facility to replace.
-The drivers seat now squeaks when I get in/out. Annoying.
-Water pump went out two weeks ago and had to tow it to the dealership for a $1k replacement.
-The stupid lug nut design is annoying when the cheap yet shiny metal of the 2 piece cover expands making removal of the lugs difficult. I am slowly replacing with Dorman aftermarket 1-piece design. I use a circular saw to drill the outer cap off to reach the steel 2nd piece for removal. It’s a royal PITA.
-The front differential makes a grinding noise when making shallow turns at parking lot speeds.

I would give it about a 85/100 so far. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off but I plan on looking around when that time comes.

For the 2016 model, the turbo didn’t seem worth it to me. It can tow a couple hundred more pounds and gets 1 or 2 more MPG but it seems like an additional part that can fail.

The 5.0 has plenty of acceleration and speed for me.

2015 5.0. 74000. One dead coyote at 40sh thousand. Im on the second engine.
I thought the transmission was crap. The new engine seems to have settled it down.
I love my Fords, but I wont own one without a good warranty. Id still buy the v8
Ive had 1 out of 3 of my coyotes fail catastrophicly.

19 Raptor, cam phasers replaced at 52k under warranty, sometimes very hard downshift into 1 if you stop fast.
I hold the accelerator down and delay the start until I see oil pressure to avoid killing another set of phasers. I never let it auto shut off in traffic. I hope the starter is made to last. After sitting all night it takes 3 - 5 seconds cranking over to show oil pressure.

I have an 18 f150 with 5.0. I like it but does use oil between changes. I change at 5000. Other than that I have no issues and towing is fine to me. Tow my tractor fine. Tractor and trailer is in 7000 lb range
The coyote 5.0 s have a know oil consumption issue where the oil blow by from the engine pressure forces oil past the PCV and into the intake to get gummed up and burned. I installed a catch can on mine to trap the blow by oil. Mine is also an 18’

Ecoboost is great in the Explorer but if you need a truck to do truck stuff… 5.0 all day long!

I’ve owned
2011 5.0, 2013 3.5, 2014 5.0, 2017 5.0 (F150) Now a 2022 6.7 Super Duty

2015 3.5, 2018 3.5 (Explorer) Now a 2022 3.0 Explorer

And out of all those truck the only one I have HATED was my 13 with the Ecoboost…

And only my 14 5.0 and 17 5.0 I bought used but still under factory warranty… everything else was brand new.

All have been 4x4 or AWD

Do you want to guess the fuel mileage my brother in law got a few weeks ago from Deerfield Beach, FL to Richmond Hill, GA

3.5 Ecoboost

IMG_3987.jpeg

I have a 2020 5.0 with 120 k miles 10 speed. No prob other than uses a quart of oil every 2500 miles. Know 2 buddies with echo boost both had turbo seal failure at 110-125 k miles. About 5 k to fix. I was going to look at a new Bronco this year but only motor options are 2 versions of echo boost so not for me.

Back
Top Bottom