• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford F150 5.0 vs 3.5 Ecoboost

Had a 2004 F150 that had cam phaser issues that started about 90k, never fixed it and traded it in with 168k miles in 2019, sounded like a diesel. Bought a new F150 in 2019 with 5.0 /10 speed, has 87k on it now and no issues. I average 19mpg (50/50 hwy/city) vs 12mpg on the 04.

Zero up side to turbo F-150's they don't tow more they don't get better fuel economy they are not as reliable they cost more to work on. They are how ever fast as f...... the 5.0 is a good engine mainly people have problems when they do the recommended 10k mile intervals for oil changes. Or when people buy a truck with "only 60k" on it on never look at service history because it ls "low mile" this goes for any make and model vehicles. People use **** quality oil **** quality filters and these newer tighter tolerance engines and wrecks them. Lots of oil change places just use 5w30 for anything that walks through the door. Can't do that with new cars it wrecks them.

With all that being said. I'm mechanic it's how I feed my family. I would not own ANY turbo cars or trucks with the exception of a Toyota but it still wouldn't be my first engine option. For an F150 100% 5.0 but maintain it at no more then 5k mile intervals that goes for anything you get really.

Look back in the history of turbo vehicles do you see any still driving around from the 70's the 80's the 90's hell even the early 00's? No you don't they are expensive when they break and they don't get fixed they get parked and they break more often then the NA counterparts.

End rant

For a gasoline ICE, absolutely the Ford 5.0 with 5k mile oil changes.

The V-6s, turbo or non are not a better option.

We have 14 of them.

For diesels, inline I-6s are the industry standard for a reason. That’s what where you want a turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The even scarier thing is that - at least on my 2016 - the dashboard mpg display overstates the actual amount. I calculate it the old fashioned way (gallons to top off divided by miles driven) and it always ends being 1 to 2 mpg lower. He could be getting 3 mpg in actuality.

Ford has had problems wit their cam phasers since 05--they still havent fixed it!?
They've supposedly revised/upgraded the design, though I don't know if it worked well. Regardless, 3 valve Ford engines aren't a good investment. There is a company that offers a cam phaser eliminator kit with fixed timing gears and a programmer to make it all work.

My work truck is a 2017 with the 3.5 and turbos with 155,000 on it. The oil pan leaks and the lug nuts have swollen. Other than that it runs like a champ.

I don’t do any towing and do my best to stay out of the turbos but that extra boost is nice when I need it.

I have a 2004 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi and the Ford is hands down quicker than the Dodge.

The even scarier thing is that - at least on my 2016 - the dashboard mph display overstates the actual amount. I calculate it the old fashioned way (gallons to top off divided by miles driven) and it always ends being 1 to 2 mpg lower. He could be getting 3 mpg in actuality.

Fact… but “usually” with bigger tires you would get more MPG like my truck is on 37’s and it always reads less then what I’m really getting.

Back
Top Bottom