• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford F150 5.0 vs 3.5 Ecoboost

We have a 2021 explorer st. We’ve put about 50k on it. It has great pick up when you floor it, no mechanical issues so far. I will say the ford interior, like most domestic vehicles is cheap and built poorly. So far it serves its purpose, but we would not own it without 100k mile warranty. I’d love to put the ford performance tune on it, but not looking for any problems at the moment. Between the turbo and 10 speed, it takes getting used to.

They've supposedly revised/upgraded the design, though I don't know if it worked well. Regardless, 3 valve Ford engines aren't a good investment. There is a company that offers a cam phaser eliminator kit with fixed timing gears and a programmer to make it all work.

Have a 2007 Navigator with the 5.4 Triton. 180K miles, no major repairs. My gut feeling is 5K oil changes with synthetic 5w20 keeps the variable timing gear well lubed.

I get 21mpg on highway trips, and average 18 in mixed driving, which is remarkable for the power and size of that vehicle.

Have a 2007 Navigator with the 5.4 Triton. 180K miles, no major repairs. My gut feeling is 5K oil changes with synthetic 5w20 keeps the variable timing gear well lubed.

I get 21mpg on highway trips, and average 18 in mixed driving, which is remarkable for the power and size of that vehicle.
You've gotten good service out of that one. My father had a similar experience with an '04, but it was wrecked at around 160k. For yours - you'll need to listen for roller follower failure - if you plan keep it long term. The roller bearing seem to wear out regardless of good maintenance.

You've gotten good service out of that one. My father had a similar experience with an '04, but it was wrecked at around 160k. For yours - you'll need to listen for roller follower failure - if you plan keep it long term. The roller bearing seem to wear out regardless of good maintenance.
My 06 expedition. With the 5.4 has 150k and just started ticking sometimes on startup .

Hopefully it will last a while longer . It’s getting rusty , hoping the engine will last as long as the body .

Already had the trans cooler line and one brake line rust through

And a rust hole in the cowl that was leaking water onto the fan and fuse box

And a rust hole on the other side of the cowl where the hood hinge bolted down .

Lots of patch plates and urethane caulk on this baby

My 06 expedition. With the 5.4 has 150k and just started ticking sometimes on startup .

Hopefully it will last a while longer . It’s getting rusty , hoping the engine will last as long as the body .

Already had the trans cooler line and one brake line rust through

And a rust hole in the cowl that was leaking water onto the fan and fuse box

And a rust hole on the other side of the cowl where the hood hinge bolted down .

Lots of patch plates and urethane caulk on this baby

Roller followers might be making the noise. If so, once they start making noise they tend to fail without warning, sometimes catastrophically. Here's a good video showing the issue (jump to 7:30 for quick info):

Given the rust, you may want to invest the time and dollars for the fix, but at least you have the info to decide.

Back
Top Bottom