• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rehabbing 95 f150

alnen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Due to a difficult used truck market, I'm considering hanging on to my current f150. Its going to be cheaper and my truck really doesn't have any issues other than being tired.

What all is involved with swapping my 302 for a more "higher performance" 302? I don't want anything crazy, this will be my daily driver. Cost wise and labor wise, just wondering what it will take. Does my transmission type effect anything with ordering the new engine (it's a 4r70w?)

I'm also wanting to do a modest lift, mainly so I can put on some actual truck tires. Again, nothing crazy, I think I really only need a front lift kit, as there is plenty of room with the rear wheel wells. How expensive/difficult is this?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Due to a difficult used truck market, I'm considering hanging on to my current f150. Its going to be cheaper and my truck really doesn't have any issues other than being tired.

What all is involved with swapping my 302 for a more "higher performance" 302? I don't want anything crazy, this will be my daily driver. Cost wise and labor wise, just wondering what it will take. Does my transmission type effect anything with ordering the new engine (it's a 4r70w?)

I'm also wanting to do a modest lift, mainly so I can put on some actual truck tires. Again, nothing crazy, I think I really only need a front lift kit, as there is plenty of room with the rear wheel wells. How expensive/difficult is this?
Why not just go to a ford dealer and have then refurb the truck ? It's not a bad deal , you get a 3 yr unlimited mile warrenty.

well any thing you do to that motor is going to get performance out of it,,some mustang 5.0 parts will swap like factory headers,larger cam such as ford racing B cam not to radical and very respectable street/daily driver..better flowing heads..this is wide open..but if going budget get the GT40 p heads and headers(explorer v8s had these and are easy to find) reflashing the ECM and going to larger mass air flow sensor...larger diameter exhaust larger psi injectors and adjustable fuel reg all reasonable priced find any where...engine hoist and driveway time and research your truck and others who have modded theirs a bit .. dont go to radical and take your time build motor on an engine stand and dont put it in until you have all the motor done and extra things that will/ have broke...things will break if its your first time pulling a motor, the more help you can get the better..have a plan and stick to it to the T and the trans..recommend going through it because the stronger motor will make it the weak point..no issues with bolt up with the same or close to the same year motors ..research and ask questions

Last edited:
My daughter has a 94 XL with 302 and auto with 4wd. It used to be a DNR Game Warden truck. Having a motor put in right now. But it had nearly 200K showing when she over heated it. I thought about going with a 351when I could find a 302 anywhere in middle GA. But I didn't know if that would require the engine computer and more expense.
I worked at an auto salvage in Bonaire in 2010 and 2011 and the owner was a big Foxbody Mustang guy. From what I recall if you just wanna get more power on the cheap you either go with the 351 Windser or you score yourself a 5.0 from a late 90s Explorer\ Mountaineer with the good heads . I believe they were called Cobra P heads. And more knowledgeable guys will tell you that it aint worth buying and working those heads over aftermarket heads. And it probably ain't. But aftermarket heads are way expensive. And if you can score a whole motor from an Exp!orer you're kinda ahead of the game .

heck... I drive a '97 F150 everyday and it's sitting at around 205K miles and counting. I will definitely be looking for a new motor before I'm looking for a new truck. Somehow used trucks have turned to gold- I haven't seen any that I thought were worth the money.

Looking forward to hearing some other people's advice and opinions. I checked Summit for a new crate motor. Yeah, $4000 and I'd still need another two grand worth of parts and chemicals. And a bench build on the transmission.

keep this in mind my brother in law has the same truck with 325 k on it and its still going he just keeps the oil changed every 2800 miles its had 4 tune ups and four sets of hoses...brakes and tires that it!

keep this in mind my brother in law has the same truck with 325 k on it and its still going he just keeps the oil changed every 2800 miles its had 4 tune ups and four sets of hoses...brakes and tires that it!

I get a little rod knock on a cold start, but other than that, mine is still running great. The engine sounds perfectly fine after those first couple seconds.

Back
Top Bottom