• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATED with the end result. Replacing a Ford 5.4 in a 2005 F150

5000 for a motor swap is highway robbery. There are places that will do a lot better than that. It's a Ford Truck motor. Think of how many have been produced and sold. Possibly the most popular truck sold these days. Think of all the engine take outs from wrecked vehicles. A motor swap if you buy a take out with 60 to 80 thousand miles will last a long time if taken care of. Hell these days that's just about when they get broken in. Someone should be able to do a complete swap out for well under $5,000. These engines these days are plug and Play. You remove the old engine you set the new one down in and everything has its own plugs and darn near impossible to hook up incorrectly. If I had an engine hoist and still lived there I would do it for $750 bucks. Me and Anthony persinger who is now a police officer around the McDonough took his wrecked car took every nut and Bolt and piece of wire off the wrecked car and put on another roller. I myself literally had the engine out in about 45 minutes to an hour. The best way is to unhook all the hoses and wire connections and drop the K member. Then take the engine off and both the K member right back in. Now if you dealing with a long block it's a little more intricate because you have to take off all the wiring harnesses and fuel injector rails intake valve covers fuel pump, timing cover and harmonic balancer and all that mess so that does take time. However if you buy an engine take out it has all that crap already on it they simply unhook the hoses and wiring connections, unbolt transmission and yank the whole motor out as a whole a lot of times even with the wiring harness and computer. But you can get them without the complete wiring harness and computer and they are cheaper but that doesn't make it that much easier to install. If somebody's quoting you five grand they're going on vacation after that deal hell the whole shop will go on vacation on that one engine swap.

This project best left for someone mechanically inclined that could do everything themselves. Even then you might just break even in the end

My sister has a mechanic that's real reasonable let me call her and get his number and I'll see about getting a quote from him tomorrow. He just did some work on 360 Magnum for my sister Durango and I had mentioned to her several things that needed to be checked possibly replaced while he was inside. He had already said that he was going to get those taken care of so he knows what he's doing. I'll get a hold of him and then post it do you know if it's a two or four valve motor?

If it were me, I'd put the money into the truck. Drive it for the next 5 to 10 years, and it will be the cheapest money you ever spent.
I agree with this 100%. I would have an engine swap done with it and drive that sucker to the wheels fell off. I'm 56 years old and I only bought three new cars in my life. I've never been one that had to have the newest eddition or brand new car to feel like I had a nice vehicle. I've owned 18 different cars and 15 of them were used and over 10 years old. However, I did shop around and get the cherries for a dirt cheap price that had ultra low miles on. As long as it's a nice looking vehicle and clean on the inside nobody else outside of the vehicle cares what year it is as long as it's clean and nice inside that's all that matters. Take that from a former new and used car salesman. I wouldn't buy a new car right now if I had $10 million. I would still buy a nice used car that someone took the depreciation hit on already.

When I mentioned doing it yourself I meant with a friend that knows what they're doing that has the means to take the engine out. Most mechanic these days are parts replacers. They have complex computers to tell them exactly what the problem is and they just swap the part. If you put an old car in front of them they would scratch their head like a monkey. That's where true engine diagnostics comes in and that's a dieing art. 41 mag knows what I'm talking about because he's been around since those days and probably knows how to do it. I started working on cars when I was 12. My dad was too big to reach all the way back to the distributor in the Cadillac we had and I had to go monkey climb up in that engine compartment and set the points on the distributor for him. I used to do all the work on that car and he'd tell me what to do. I would also have somebody take a closer look at that vehicle. The motor could be hydrolocked or a number of other things can mimic a seized engine. Let's just say for the moment that the guy that sold you the truck was honest and he did swap out the motor and for some reason it just developed a freak problem that doesn't pop up very much. Like I say about most mechanics being parts replacers if a computer is not telling them what's defective they don't know what's going on.

Here you go Greg, the OP has it up for sale. Your chance to make big money just swapping out a motor.

I personally think he made a wise decision.

Here you go Greg, the OP has it up for sale. Your chance to make big money just swapping out a motor.
For one I don't have a garage and number two my back can't do it anymore that's why I started working on guns. They are a lot less expensive, a lot cleaner to work on and I don't have to hang over a handguard or barrel for hours at a time. LOL

I looked at a place called SW engines and they have a 5.4 l 2005 model with 86,000 MI that has a 5-year 50,000 mi warranty on it. $1,800 for the motor of course you're probably have to pay shipping. There are literally hundreds of places like that that sell takeout motors and give excellent warranties with them. Take one of those engines to the mechanic of your choice and hand it over to him and tell him to get it done. I'm still going to check for you on that place my sister gets her work done which is very very reasonable. He has to be cuz my sister is one anal son of a gun and she will not put up with any manure. Plus she always calls me when she has a problem so she goes into an arm with the knowledge of what's going on anyway. So I'll contact him and see what he can do for you and if he's interested in taking on the job I'll relay the number to you and you can talk with him personally. That's all I can do up here in Virginia buddy.

Back
Top Bottom