• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATED with the end result. Replacing a Ford 5.4 in a 2005 F150

Coach

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
25   0
Reaction score
Anybody had one replaced lately? Wonder a ballpark cost.
The rest of the story, bought this 2005 Lariat, great leather interior.
nice black paint 4X4 , bed cover over all a really nice truck. A nice old
guy tell me he just had a used motor with 103K installed with all new parts.
Say he was driving it and it just quite and he's sick of messing with it. A great deal
I thought for $4K , I figured even if I had to put a few more thousand into it, it
would still be a good deal. Had it towed to my mechanic and he tells me it's seized.
Ya, I'm way to trusting. open for offers LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_20230602_110059.jpg
    IMG_20230602_110059.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230602_110108.jpg
    IMG_20230602_110108.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230602_110120.jpg
    IMG_20230602_110120.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 51
I would buy a long block and swap everything over.
but if you aren’t really a mechanic or able to do this with a decent garage and a REAL set of tools/equipment…..this is not a DIY type of thing.
This is a job that is involved big time …..not just swapping some brakes or doing an alternator type of job.

Good luck….I hope you get it done at a decent deal and from a quality mechanic.
What you spend and do now will greatly affect the way this truck performs in the future and for how long.

Fraser Engines and Transmissions

I've had a few people buy from them. Last one was purchased in 2020 and was $4200ish. I would not buy a used 5.4 from the salvage yard as they have too many common issues. Get yourself a new engine with a warranty if it doesn't hurt your pocket too badly

AND ….. you really have no idea what kind of shape the transmission is in. Not counting the front end components, brakes, etc.,

Also take into account what parts you should replace with engine….plugs, wires, hoses, belts, etc.

Plugs on this engine are pain.
Yeah but you do all that while the engine is out , before you put it back in . If you are replacing the engine with a used one it’s best to dress it and swap all the hoses, wires, plugs, etc., while it is on the stand/cherry picker….BEFORE you drop it down in the truck. :)

I have seen these truck be incorrectly diagnosed as a seized engine. Ask your mechanic or you yourself check to be 100% sure the A/C compressor is not seized, and the belt is preventing the crankshaft pulley from turning. I have seen more than one come into my work from other shops with a “seized engine” and we take off the belt and it fires right up. Long shot but thought I’d put in my $.02

Back
Top Bottom