• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Camping scare stories.

Cira 1988 in Illinois. I was forced to move back in with my mother and much younger siblings. I was working nights, 4 on 4 off 12 hour shift. I was new to reloading and stayed up late reloading tale a nap then meet the older retired guys at the range in the morning. The basement was my living quarters and in the very front was crawls space with a access square in the bricks about 4 feet off the floor. this was covered with a screen covered plastic.

I could not walk in this house and not have the feeling I was alone. Too many times I could feel eyes intently on me as if being stared at. Spidey sense tingling. Many a night I would sit on my couch in the basement watching TV while reloading on a wooden sawhorse I built in high school woodshop. As I sat there I would frequently get this instantaneous feeling of someone appearing next to me, and always from the right and behind me. Remember that access square in the front wall? Well, The furnace, water heater, washer and dryer were to the right of it in an area that was slightly to the right and behind my couch which was against the right side wall below the foot of my bed.
Every time this happened I saw nothing, but I would get chill, goosebumps and my hair would stand up,
I could feel a cold chill come over me and feel my skin tighten around the base of my neck and arm hairs
like a clinched fist as that cold chill raced down my back.

This would happen again and and again until one night I physically felt this energy rush up on me as if it was running, but I took it personal. It was a fast rush, almost a physical event, yet it didn't pass through me. I didn't feel fear, I felt anger, the air around me was freezing. again this came from my right and behind me.
I turned my head abruptly to the right as if i was staring someone in the face and shouted angerly "WHAT DO YOU WANT"!!! In an instant it was gone and I felt heat engulf my upper body.

The next day I told my mother, who then confided in me and made me promise not to tell my younger siblings, but one of the pervious owners a man, died of a heart attack in the kitchen. The kitchen was positioned directly above my bed below.

The house was occupied by an elderly brother and sister and when the brother died the sister bought a smaller home and this one on the market.

In the kitchen above my bed was a round kitchen table in the center of a not very large Kitchen. One late morning I was awakened by a sound coming through the floor above my bed, realize there is no ceiling just joist's, subfloor and flooring but of older solid hard wood construction. I'm awaked by the sound of someone walking around the table in the kitchen above. I was lying in bed and looking up at the floor above it was moving from my 4 o'clock and continued to my 1:00 O'clock and stopped. I was worried when it stopped because it stopped walking at the entrance to the pantry where the top of the basement stairs were located.

It was a very distinctive almost deliberate in nature, it was a man walking heavily, in quality built hard soled dress shoes. I rolled over towards the bottom of staircase to the left and behind my bed, and in a raised questioning voice asked "MOM??? No answer. I remained motionless, listening but there was a dead silence in the house. No movement what so ever.

After what seemed like minutes and may have been I heard no more movement at all. I knew my siblings were in school and my mom was going out that morning. I finally got out of bead and started up the stairs that lead into the kitchen again saying, Mom? Mom? I paused at the top of the stairs and called louder for mom still no response and the house was eerily quit. I checked the front and back doors, locked! I searched every room and yes, under each bed. I even checked the tall cabinets in the bathroom and the bath/shower combo. Who likes pulling back that shower curtain. NOT ME!

Fast forward 15 years mom moves out and rents the house to the niece of my ex wife (Longer story). She eventually ends up buying the house, in the mean time I've move to Georgia with my second wife.

A few years into owning the house this young lady calls me out of the blue to ask me if the house is haunted. I play dumb and ask why. She sends me pictures of a book that keeps finding its way onto the kitchen floor. Three times the book has ended up on the floor shortly after she walks out of the kitchen. She said it keeps "Flying off the shelf" and ends up three feet away from the shelf. What's odd about this? The end of the kitchen cabinet where the book was kept is a quarter round built as a set of shelves on the end. The books were stored at most 18" above the the floor. I continued to play dumb and deny any knowledge of spirits. Besides, what i believe and what you believe, or perceive to be real can be very subjective, right? To this day I can only assume she had experienced other happenings prior to the book that throwing that she didn't share. This incident must have been the final straw that codified what she suspected all along. I suspected such at the time of the call and as much as i wanted to tell her my story I never alluded to any such experiences.

About 6 years ago she contacts me again. There was an addition that had been added to the house before my mom purchased the property. Apparently the floor had rotted away from below. She called to ask if my mom had installed the addition. I said no it had been there when mom bought the house and I always felt the quality was low, as if the owner had done the work. She then proceeds to tell me of an open well they found under the floor. She sent me pictures of an open well that had not been covered of filled prior to the addition being built. I always felt that she was looking to sue my mom for non disclosure if it had been my mom who added the addition.

That's the last I've heard from her, but I'm sure she knows and is convinced the house is haunted, l saw her mother at a family event in 2018 but no mention of the house was ever made. I think we were too busy celebrating the birth of my new granddaughter.

And to the gentlemen who said he could sense things when entering houses, in 1994 my new wife and I were house hunting and there were several houses we walked into and I instantly said no and walked out. At first she was puzzled, and I didn't want to say anything in front of the realtor. I later told her that if I had a bad feeling walking in, I would not waste time looking at the house. She never argued or questioned my motives.

If something feels wrong when you walk in a house or other location, I do believe there is a reason, so take heed upon what you enter.

Cira 1988 in Illinois. I was forced to move back in with my mother and much younger siblings. I was working nights, 4 on 4 off 12 hour shift. I was new to reloading and stayed up late reloading tale a nap then meet the older retired guys at the range in the morning. The basement was my living quarters and in the very front was crawls space with a access square in the bricks about 4 feet off the floor. this was covered with a screen covered plastic.

I could not walk in this house and not have the feeling I was alone. Too many times I could feel eyes intently on me as if being stared at. Spidey sense tingling. Many a night I would sit on my couch in the basement watching TV while reloading on a wooden sawhorse I built in high school woodshop. As I sat there I would frequently get this instantaneous feeling of someone appearing next to me, and always from the right and behind me. Remember that access square in the front wall? Well, The furnace, water heater, washer and dryer were to the right of it in an area that was slightly to the right and behind my couch which was against the right side wall below the foot of my bed.
Every time this happened I saw nothing, but I would get chill, goosebumps and my hair would stand up,
I could feel a cold chill come over me and feel my skin tighten around the base of my neck and arm hairs

This would happen again and and again until one night I physically felt this energy rush up on me as if it was running, but I took it personal. It was a fast rush, almost a physical event, yet it didn't pass through me. I didn't feel fear, I felt anger, the air around me was freezing. again this came from my right and behind me.
I turned my head abruptly to the right as if i was staring someone in the face and shouted angerly "WHAT DO YOU WANT"!!! In an instant it was gone and I felt heat engulf my upper body.

The next day I told my mother, who then confided in me and made me promise not to tell my younger siblings, but one of the pervious owners a man, died of a heart attack in the kitchen. The kitchen was positioned directly above my bed below.

The house was occupied by an elderly brother and sister and when the brother died the sister bought a smaller home and this one on the market.

In the kitchen above my bed was a round kitchen table in the center of a not very large Kitchen. One late morning I was awakened by a sound coming through the floor above my bed, realize there is no ceiling just joist's, subfloor and flooring but of older solid hard wood construction. I'm awaked by the sound of someone walking around the table in the kitchen above. I was lying in bed and looking up at the floor above it was moving from my 4 o'clock and continued to my 1:00 O'clock and stopped. I was worried when it stopped because it stopped walking at the entrance to the pantry where the top of the basement stairs were located.

It was a very distinctive almost deliberate in nature, it was a man walking heavily, in quality built hard soled dress shoes. I rolled over towards the bottom of staircase to the left and behind my bed, and in a raised questioning voice asked "MOM??? No answer. I remained motionless, listening but there was a dead silence in the house. No movement what so ever.

After what seemed like minutes and may have been I heard no more movement at all. I knew my siblings were in school and my mom was going out that morning. I finally got out of bead and started up the stairs that lead into the kitchen again saying, Mom? Mom? I paused at the top of the stairs and called louder for mom still no response and the house was eerily quit. I checked the front and back doors, locked! I searched every room and yes, under each bed. I even checked the tall cabinets in the bathroom and the bath/shower combo. Who likes pulling back that shower curtain. NOT ME!

Fast forward 15 years mom moves out and rents the house to the niece of my ex wife (Longer story). She eventually ends up buying the house, in the mean time I've move to Georgia with my second wife.

A few years into owning the house this young lady calls me out of the blue to ask me if the house is haunted. I play dumb and ask why. She sends me pictures of a book that keeps finding its way onto the kitchen floor. Three times the book has ended up on the floor shortly after she walks out of the kitchen. She said it keeps "Flying off the shelf" and ends up three feet away from the shelf. What's odd about this? The end of the kitchen cabinet where the book was kept is a quarter round built as a set of shelves on the end. The books were stored at most 18" above the the floor. I continued to play dumb and deny any knowledge of spirits. Besides, what i believe and what you believe, or perceive to be real can be very subjective, right? To this day I can only assume she had experienced other happenings prior to the book that throwing that she didn't share. This incident must have been the final straw that codified what she suspected all along. I suspected such at the time of the call and as much as i wanted to tell her my story I never alluded to any such experiences.

About 6 years ago she contacts me again. There was an addition that had been added to the house before my mom purchased the property. Apparently the floor had rotted away from below. She called to ask if my mom had installed the addition. I said no it had been there when mom bought the house and I always felt the quality was low, as if the owner had done the work. She then proceeds to tell me of an open well they found under the floor. She sent me pictures of an open well that had not been covered of filled prior to the addition being built. I always felt that she was looking to sue my mom for non disclosure if it had been my mom who added the addition.

That's the last I've heard from her, but I'm sure she knows and is convinced the house is haunted, l saw her mother at a family event in 2018 but no mention of the house was ever made. I think we were too busy celebrating the birth of my new granddaughter.

And to the gentlemen who said he could sense things when entering houses, in 1994 my new wife and I were house hunting and there were several houses we walked into and I instantly said no and walked out. At first she was puzzled, and I didn't want to say anything in front of the realtor. I later told her that if I had a bad feeling walking in, I would not waste time looking at the house. She never argued or questioned my motives.

If something feels wrong when you walk in a house or other location, I do believe there is a reason, so take heed upon what you enter.
Anyone ever check that well after it was found? Could be somebody in there was the source of phenomena.

Anyone ever check that well after it was found? Could be somebody in there was the source of phenomena.
I do believe it was inspected thoroughly before she called me. In the conversation I knew she already had quotes and the whole job plus renovation was going to be costly. This is why I believe she asked if my mom built the addition over the well. She was looking to accuse mom of not disclosing it. The sister and brother who built it were long gone by the time she found it. We honestly had no clue it was there, but that floor always had a spring to it.
Remember, this was the niece of my ex, she was familiar with the house before she rented and eventually bought it.
I know what I experienced and no one will convince me differently. To hear a spirit walk across a floor is unnerving. I don't blame doubters and won't argue. Those who have heard it have a different take. The good news is this:
We all get to choose what we perceive as reality whether its real, or not. As the saying goes "Your reality is what you make it".

I know what I experienced and no one will convince me differently. To hear a spirit walk across a floor is unnerving. I don't blame doubters and won't argue. Those who have heard it have a different take. The good news is this:
We all get to choose what we perceive as reality whether its real, or not. As the saying goes "Your reality is what you make it".
Check out my post #172

oh hell no. i would have had to burn the freakin house down.

***Names have been left out for privacy reasons and out of respect.

I definitely believe that kids have a natural ability to see things that adults may not see at first. When our oldest son was about 1 1/2 , he would be walking around playing and just stop and stare blankly into the wall or past us. Sometimes he would just stare and sometimes he would point his finger. As if he was looking and pointing at someone in particular, even though nothing or no one was there.
Fast forward a year or so later when he really started talking in more complete sentences… I was sitting on the couch relaxing after work one evening with the wife beside me and our son on the floor playing legos. He kept looking over our shoulder into the dining room, to the point where it was so obvious that I had to ask “ what are you looking at, buddy?” He looked at me and replied “ the man in the big hat”. It was a little unnerving, but we chalked it up to his active imagination. I asked him” do you see the man in the big hat a lot? “ “ Sometimes” he replied.
A number of weeks later, I was talking to our neighbor across the street, who happened to also be the listing agent that sold us the house. We were talking about the previous owners of the house. My wife and I knew that the previous owner was elderly and had passed away but we never asked how or where. My neighbor was sharing stories about how they were really close with them and that he and his wife and the previous couple would go out to dinner and do cookouts and such. He also mentioned that the previous owner would always be outside pruning his bushes , raking leaves, planting flowers, and doing his own yard work. My neighbor would always poke fun at him because he would always wear this really really big hat.

Back
Top Bottom