• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying land in GA. Can you folks that have been there and done that give your opinions/horror stories or good stories on what to watch for etc

You've had some good advise so far. If you buy 20 acres or more, you can put it in land conservation. That'll help on taxes and you can still build your personal house on it. Get some sort of water on it, spring or creek. Watch out for flood plains. Make sure you have all mineral and timber rights to property. If you can pay cash, your closing cost will be so much cheaper. Also, my preference is no hogs. If you can buy property on a dirt road that'll be cheaper too. Always have public road frontage on property. I always get a new survey if it hasn't been done in a while and keep it well marked from then on. This should get you well on your way

Talk to the neighbors.

Just knock the door and ask if they know anything about the land next door that’s for sale .

You will sometimes be amazed by what you learn just chatting with the neighbors

As mentioned

Figure out what you want
Many years ago I was looking for a place

I wanted at least five acres with a creek that bordered the USFS
As far back in the woods as I could get

Took me about a year and a half to find it

Got 7 acres with a a creek through the middle that borders USFS on two sides , at the end of a jeep trail , almost a mile from the pavement .

How much land do you want ?
What kind of access ?
Jeep trail ?
Dirt road ?
Paved road ?

Accessible electricity ?
Creek or pond ?
Already have a well ?
Already have a Septic ?
Lot of places require a perc test and a lot of places won’t pass the test .

I know a guy that bought a nice property on a mountain ,
County won’t allow septic , too rocky , too close to a creek etc

County folks said :” you just bought yourself a really expensive campsite “

Whats average cost to install a well and septic in N GA? Is septic above or in ground?

I drilled a 260' well here in SE GA and that was $3000 which included drilling, inground pump and pressure tank. Electrical to my power box was $300.

Here in SE GA there are septics above ground, I assume due to water table. Look like large graves.

Whats average cost to install a well and septic in N GA? Is septic above or in ground?

I drilled a 260' well here in SE GA and that was $3000 which included drilling, inground pump and pressure tank. Electrical to my power box was $300.

Here in SE GA there are septics above ground, I assume due to water table. Look like large graves.
That sounds like a deal on the well. Up in NE Ga it’s around 10k.

HAVE YOUR MONEY READY!!!
as stated earlier....
don't be a tire kicker, unless you just like driving around and looking at properties....if so, please don't waste others time

I try to buy whatever land comes up for sale around me. I've lost out on a couple pieces while haggling over a $1k per acre or less. I still feel like a idiot for not just paying the price and buying the land. The Flor idiots still have plenty of money to spend.

If it's important to you you may want to check on cell service and internet in the area. When I bought my 24 acres about 3 years ago cell service started in my yard. Folks would stop at the stop sign to check messages or make calls. I expected to have to use Starlink for internet, lucked up and fiber came down the road before we were ready to move.

Ground is perfect for septic where we are. Water is at the road and we are at the end of the paved part of the road, turns to dirt 100 yards past our property. One guy up in Ellijay told us it cost him $17k to drill a well! I'm sure they're not all that expensive up there, but you gotta go deep up in Jasper/Ellijay.

Find out what the current building codes are, land use / land disturbance laws, what permits are needed to make a driveway or clear a home site, etc. Find out what county ordinances there are regarding these topics and other things that interest you-- shooting for fun, shooting while hunting, ATV and dirt bike use, golf cart use (are they legal on rural roads, which are neither State nor County designated routes?).

You can often get "grandfathered-in" and approved to keep doing things that you started doing when you first bought the land, before the County changed their laws. But if you wait until AFTER a bunch of city folk move up there and prompt the government to pass a bunch of new laws.

Back
Top Bottom