• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying land in GA. Can you folks that have been there and done that give your opinions/horror stories or good stories on what to watch for etc

The guy that bought my land had a good experience. I bought it with plans to build our home on decades ago but we went in another direction. He owned all the land surrounding mine, made me a fair offer. He was always nice so I accepted it. I wasn't thinking about selling it at the time and all the money was re-invested in my backyard, my sanctuary
My point is there are always people who aren't greedy that will sell

I bought my land 5 years ago, I too looked for a long time for the right place. Never could find the perfect property in the area I wanted . I finally bought a small tract in Jasper co . It had almost everything on my must have list, power , water , timber and road frontage , only thing it didn’t have was a stream or pond but im planning to change that soon and put in a small pond .

I have purchased land in Georgia.

1. Know what you want
  2. Drive around and look in addition to scrolling the interwebs. Real estate agents can be old school (possibly incompetent) and you're likely to see a sign before a listing is visible anywhere, if it's ever listed on sites you'd look at.
  3. Have money ready and be ready to make an offer quickly. Do not hesitate when you find it.
  4. If you can pay cash, you increase your chance of success
ETA - Yes, any offer should be contingent on the things mentioned here, including plat, survey, restrictions, or even flood zone. That's where having your own real estate attorney or realtor might come into play.

Make sure there are no cemeteries, family burial sites or graves.

My brother owns a 100 acres that has a small ancient cemetery on it. He bought the land from my uncle who owned it for 40 years. We've always left the little cemetery alone. No idea if there are any descendents.

Back
Top Bottom