• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying land in GA. Can you folks that have been there and done that give your opinions/horror stories or good stories on what to watch for etc

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying land in North GA or Tennessee or North Carolina. I'd rather learn from your experiences than reinvent the wheel.

Pay close attention to the fine print,make sure of no right aways,mining rights etc.
This. Also a few simple words such as "right to survivorship" can mean a lot if you are putting your spouse or anyone else on the deed. My dad passed recently and because those words were left out of the deed it turns out that in GA my mother now only owns half the house. Well actually, half plus one third of his half, the other 2/3 of his half is split between all his heirs. It is going to take some legal work to get the property in only her name so that she can sell it or what ever.

This. Also a few simple words such as "right to survivorship" can mean a lot if you are putting your spouse or anyone else on the deed. My dad passed recently and because those words were left out of the deed it turns out that in GA my mother now only owns half the house. Well actually, half plus one third of his half, the other 2/3 of his half is split between all his heirs. It is going to take some legal work to get the property in only her name so that she can sell it or what ever.
Sorry for your loss. I'm guessing he died with no will?

Sorry for your loss. I'm guessing he died with no will?
Thank you. He was 89 and lived a full life. The only will was done back in the '60s when we were all kids saying who he wanted to raise us if something happened to both parents so basically no will.

Back
Top Bottom