• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Camping scare stories.

RSB RSB your story reminds me of a simular story that happened to me..
Back in the middle 80’s, I stayed the summer with my sister and BIL while I worked a summer job.. we used to always play jokes and ribs on each other..
Late one weekend night as I just had went to bed( every light in the house was out) so it was very dark.. as laying in the bed I hear someone creeping down the hallway very slowly.. as I’m laying there I think to myself THEY ARE TRYING TO SCAIR ME SO ILL SCAIR THEM 1st.. as the steps make it all the down the hall and stop at my doorway( it’s open).. just as it stops at the door I scream as loud as I can.. they holler from the other end of the wanting to know what was I doing..
same house a couple wks later as I come out the bathroom something starts following me up the hall.. scares me to the point I start to run and cut the corner so sharp when I get to the kitchen I knock the stove halfway out into the floor

RSB RSB your story reminds me of a simular story that happened to me..
Back in the middle 80’s, I stayed the summer with my sister and BIL while I worked a summer job.. we used to always play jokes and ribs on each other..
Late one weekend night as I just had went to bed( every light in the house was out) so it was very dark.. as laying in the bed I hear someone creeping down the hallway very slowly.. as I’m laying there I think to myself THEY ARE TRYING TO SCAIR ME SO ILL SCAIR THEM 1st.. as the steps make it all the down the hall and stop at my doorway( it’s open).. just as it stops at the door I scream as loud as I can.. they holler from the other end of the wanting to know what was I doing..
same house a couple wks later as I come out the bathroom something starts following me up the hall.. scares me to the point I start to run and cut the corner so sharp when I get to the kitchen I knock the stove halfway out into the floor
well what was chasing you?

In the Summer of 2019 we met a another couple for our annual summer get together bike trip. This year we met in Waynesville North Carolina and stayed at the Waynesville Inn and Golf Course. The wives caged it so me and my buddy could have our shotguns to go shoot a round of sporting clays on Saturday. Our plan was to find Howler Farms Sporting Clays so we could shoot a round. Our summer get togethers always includes riding, shooting of some sort and the departing trades of keepsakes. Saturday morning we took my car and headed into the mountains in search of Howler farms. we left our wives behind with the other car so they could do whatever it is wives do when they get together without the two of us hanging around. After a 45 minute drive we found the Howler Farm and we were welcomed accordingly. After a brief visit and get to know we rented a golf cart and shot a round of clays which, was very shooter friendly and enjoyable course. I do recommend it if you find yourself up there with a shotgun and shells.

During the weekend we did our fair share of dinning, riding on the Blueridge Parkway. We hit Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley and had a general good time enjoying each others company and all the scenery.

The hotel wing where our room was located was very dated circa 1950's varnished pine board décor. The hallway floors and floors in our room creaked something horrible. In fact you could hear just about everyone in the wing as the floors creaked under their feet. While in bed that night at two something in the morning I was awakened by the floor creaking. At first I though it was someone walking in the hall. I sat up in the bed listening intently as I roused from my deep slumber. In fact, I think I was holding my breath at first. In my now alert position I quickly came to the realization the creaking floor was actually in our room, the sounds emanating just feet from the foot of the bed. I sat there and listened as the creaking steps moved from the closet left of the room entrance and continued across the floor at an angle towards my side of the bed. I believe it was moving towards the window and not towards me directly. My side of the bed just happened to be nearest the window.

What I found odd was how I could tell there was someone moving across the floor, the sound of what I knew to be someone walking totally lacked the sound of foot steps. It was someone walking across the floor which creaked in the cadence of foot steps without the sounds of boots or shoes contacting the wood floor. It was like someone was barefoot trying to quietly creep across the floor. As I was sitting up in the bed there was nothing there and no one to be seen. Did I mention the room was mostly pitch black? I sat and listened for another minute and the entire place was deathly quiet so I laid back down and fell back to sleep with no further incidents that night.

Of course when I relayed this incident to my party over morning breakfast I was woefully ridiculed for hearing things that weren't there. My wife joined in as a cynic and critic having never roused from her hibernation. Would I stay there there again? Absolutely, and in the same room if so placed. Yes the place was a bit dated, but at that time it was quiet and the evening views overlooking the golf course and surrounding mountains were relaxing. Waynesville was not as overrun with tourists as is Maggie Valley or Cherokee and it provided the same access to the same roads we all like to ride.

When I go riding in the mountains alone I go to Robbinsville where I pay for tent space and bathroom/shower privileges at the Two Wheel Inn. Where I camp on the grounds my biggest concern is a wandering bear. Ironically the owner said they don't have bears. What!?!? You wanna make a bet!! I keep my jar of peanut butter and rice cakes in my saddle bag and my tent is 40 yards from my bike. My 40 Shield is very close at hand. To date I've never had any bear issues except the one just North of Helen. There have been a few humans I've kept an eye on. I'm far more leery of humans than I am of bears or a possible wandering spirit. Especially when I'm out riding and camping alone in high back country.
FYI: PB and rice cakes are great hi energy road food.

Not camping/hunting related but…

I purchased my childhood home from my mother in 2012. Two story house, built in the 30s, “modernized” in the 70s or 80s. I lived here growing up and while a few things were creepy, nothing too crazy ever happened. Whenever something did, we would jokingly say it was Mr. Kazeve, the original owner and builder.

My sister lived next door, having built a house there in 2007. It’s a couple hundred yards away but has a clear view of my house from the kitchen window. One night, my sister was cooking and said she saw a man standing in the window in a red flannel but assumed it was me just looking out.

A while passed and she looks and still sees the figure. This is when she calls me and asks what I’m doing. Me and the wife weren’t home. She freaks, gets my BIL who also sees the figure but they refuse to go check it out in my absence.

That Sunday, my mother picks up the elderly niece of Mr. Kazeve for church and casually mentions the red flannel figure. The near 90 year old niece (who has no idea we joke about her uncle haunting us) says, “that’s funny, my uncle wore a red flannel nearly everyday of his life”.

Not camping/hunting related but…

I purchased my childhood home from my mother in 2012. Two story house, built in the 30s, “modernized” in the 70s or 80s. I lived here growing up and while a few things were creepy, nothing too crazy ever happened. Whenever something did, we would jokingly say it was Mr. Kazeve, the original owner and builder.

My sister lived next door, having built a house there in 2007. It’s a couple hundred yards away but has a clear view of my house from the kitchen window. One night, my sister was cooking and said she saw a man standing in the window in a red flannel but assumed it was me just looking out.

A while passed and she looks and still sees the figure. This is when she calls me and asks what I’m doing. Me and the wife weren’t home. She freaks, gets my BIL who also sees the figure but they refuse to go check it out in my absence.

That Sunday, my mother picks up the elderly niece of Mr. Kazeve for church and casually mentions the red flannel figure. The near 90 year old niece (who has no idea we joke about her uncle haunting us) says, “that’s funny, my uncle wore a red flannel nearly everyday of his life”.
yeah well unc has to get the hell out.

yeah well unc has to get the hell out.
Yeah, my sister always said the house creeped her out but me or my wife haven’t seen anything ourselves.

Anyway, Mr. Kazeve was supposedly a good, Christian man and he didn’t even die here, we just said his name cause we knew it. In fact, my dad is the only person to have died in the house before we purchased it. Maybe he was playing a prank? Lol.

Yeah, my sister always said the house creeped her out but me or my wife haven’t seen anything ourselves.

Anyway, Mr. Kazeve was supposedly a good, Christian man and he didn’t even die here, we just said his name cause we knew it. In fact, my dad is the only person to have died in the house before we purchased it. Maybe he was playing a prank? Lol.
damn. rip dad. even then ghostes gots to go.
that type stuff freaks me out.

Saw this thread yesterday for the first time. DeSoto Alabama caught my attention as a good friend of mine has moved there last year. Anyway, just finished reading it all this morning. Cool and spooky stuff!

Back
Top Bottom