• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rub or no rub?

Years ago I worked for a promoter who did rib competitions. We'd see all of the competitors come in and start their smoking process a day or so early. The best ones tended to have a very simple rub or no rub, the secret was in the smoking process. Some of the best and juiciest I've had was soaked in a mild brine for several days before going in the smoker for 24 hours at a low temp.

Like someone else already said if you season it just right you wont need sauce...

I like a "bark" on my smoked meat so I start with whatever dry rub and add some sort of wet near the end...sometimes a BBQ sauce or mustard based mix, sometimes just apple cider vinegar mist.

Theres no "right" way to smoke a butt...just gotta play around with em and find what you like best. It IS all about not over cooking it. 1hr per pound PLUS 1 hour. Then in a foil wrap and into a cooler for 1 hour.
+1 on the bark. I will add that ever since I started using a digital meat thermometer, I have never over or undercooked a butt or brisket. They come out perfect every time! Good to be able to see when the butt "plateaus" and then the temp starts rising again. I usually cook butts to 195° and then wrap in foil and place in a warm ice chest for 1-2 hours before serving.

I am going to toss a boston butt on the smoker today, normally I put a mustard/dry rub mix on them. To me, the rubs seem to over power the taste of the meat. Dose anyone somke'em naked? I have eaten some pulled pork at some bbq joints and they did not appear to use a rub and was tasty.

Try using olive oil instead of mustard and use your regular dry rub. You'll be surprisedat the outcome

i.walmartimages.com_i_p_00_05_21_00_01_0005210001552_500X500.jpg

Rub it down with a little salt and pepper and then a little vegetable oil. The oil helps keep it from drying out even if you use a pan of liquid.
Another tip is to build a small fire and let it get enough air to produce a low temperature. Yes you will have to add fuel several times but too much wood/ a larger fire smothered out with just a little air going to it to make it burn slow will produce a bitter smoke flavor.
My favorite wood for pork is a maple, hickory mix.

I use apple and pecan soaked in water for at least 30 min for best smoke

Apple is what I am running right now. (treager)

Apple and/or Pecan.
If you can find it, Durkees brown sugar rub is awesome! I use it on chicken, pork and my wild turkey breast meat. It's sweet and has a little bit of "twang",!but not so much that it overpowers the meat.

Back
Top Bottom