• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gas grill catching fire do I replace or go charcoal

My family has pellets grills. I'm not convinced.

I used to cook with charcoal. I was a die hard charcoal guy. Gave in got a gas grill for the quick meal hear and there and then guess I got lazy

I have a gas grill with natural gas plumbed. I'm about as lazy as they come...

Can't tell you how many times I ran out of gas in the middle of a tank. Was always too cheap to buy two tanks. Well, come to think of it I did buy a backup tank. And didn't refill it. And still ran out of gas...

My family has pellets grills. I'm not convinced.

I used to cook with charcoal. I was a die hard charcoal guy. Gave in got a gas grill for the quick meal hear and there and then guess I got lazy
What is it you’re not convinced about? My pellet smoker does everything a gas grill does and more. I have a Recteq RT700. Really great quality, probably best on the market.

Charcoal and never look back. Some things are worth the effort. I’d rather cook in an oven than a pellet grill - It’s pretty much the same thing anyway.

1703993864743.jpeg

We have a char broil 4 burner gas grill. I have always cooked everything on the lowest setting and it still catches fire often. It’s also always cooked unevenly with hot and cool zones. I’m ready to junk it and start over. The grill is less than two years old.
I like the convenience of gas. I like the ability to have a quick lunch but I’m about to the point I’m returning to charcoal.
I cook wings, burgers, steaks, fish and occasionally a slab of ribs. I only cook for four or us at most. Just trying to decide which way to go at this point
REC TEC for it all. Grilling and Smoking

What is it you’re not convinced about? My pellet smoker does everything a gas grill does and more. I have a Recteq RT700. Really great quality, probably best on the market.
I'm not sure. I guess its like anything there is a right and wrong way to use and some of the meat I've eaten off off of one has had weird texture and flavor. Could have been temperature related and trying to get fancy with the pellets

I'm not sure. I guess its like anything there is a right and wrong way to use and some of the meat I've eaten off off of one has had weird texture and flavor. Could have been temperature related and trying to get fancy with the pellets
Oh, ok. That makes sense then. To me the two most important decisions in BBQ, grilling and smoking is choice of equipment and fuel. There are tons of cheaply made grills out there, and tons of crappy fuels. When I used charcoal, the first thing I learned was to never use lighter fluid (I absolutely hate the taste on my food) so I quickly switched to using a chimney starter and paper. Even the charcoal with lighter fluid in it tastes bad on food. The last couple years of using charcoal, I only bought lump. Far superior to standard coal to me. Gas doesn’t give you that problem, but it doesn’t give you smoke flavor either, so you have to use a smoke box which can be easily underwhelming. With pellets, you usually have to experiment and read reviews. Traeger for example has good flavored pellets, but I’ve found them to leave an inordinate amount of dust in my smoker, which, of course, can end up on your food. I like PitBoss competition blend in my Recteq grill. Honestly, the only reason I don’t use Recteq pellets is cost. I’ve never heard a complaint about my food using PitBoss, and it’s convenient to find and significantly cheaper.

Just went out and cleaned the grill. Will try again. I told my wife I wish I had been drinking or the game had been closer. Nope I burned wings sober and we were up 50+ at the time.

All the gas grills are made to disintegrate after 4 years it seems. You either rebuild or buy another disposable one. Buying parts seems to be half the cost or more of a new one. Clean them, cover them and rebuild or replace every 4-5 years. This only applies if you actually use your grill.

Back
Top Bottom