• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Air Fryer - gotta have or a gimmick?

I must not know what I'm doing with mine. It's just ok for fries, good for hot dogs or brats, and that's about it. My GF likes grilled cheese sandwiches made in it, but I'd rather do mine in a skillet on the stove. For everything else I find it gets too messy too quickly and it's more of a hassle than it's worth. Anything with a wet batter you are still going to have to fry in oil. I wouldn't quite say I don't like the thing, but I wouldn't miss it if we didn't have it.

I must not know what I'm doing with mine. It's just ok for fries, good for hot dogs or brats, and that's about it. My GF likes grilled cheese sandwiches made in it, but I'd rather do mine in a skillet on the stove. For everything else I find it gets too messy too quickly and it's more of a hassle than it's worth. Anything with a wet batter you are still going to have to fry in oil. I wouldn't quite say I don't like the thing, but I wouldn't miss it if we didn't have it.

I hear ya, I don't really comprehend all of the controls and the 80 page instructions
but what I have cooked in mine I'm satisfied (see above post) PITA to clean, splatter goes everywhere

I really LIKE my large toaster oven

PS: grilled cheese only in a cast iron skillet

The instruction manual that came with mine specifically stated not to use a wet batter.

It says a light spray of oil. I also dip wings, chicken, meat, etc. in a sauce that gets baked on.

It’s an oven not a deep fryer.

The instruction manual that came with mine specifically stated not to use a wet batter.

It says a light spray of oil. I also dip wings, chicken, meat, etc. in a sauce that gets baked on.

It’s an oven not a deep fryer.
I have in fact made beer batter chicken tenders in ours (a wet batter) instead of deep frying. They turned out great, so it can be done. Sure it was a little messy, but it can be done...

Amazing thing, looking to replace ours as it finally died on us. Great to use to make wings, biscuits, reheating hush puppies and fries, etc. Our home is incomplete without it. RIP

I got an older model of this one (link at the bottom) years ago and I use it more than anything else in my kitchen.

Besides being able to do air fryer duties it works well as a small convection and toaster oven. I haven't used my regular oven for anything other than storing empty pizza boxes for at least a year now. And I got rid of my toaster within a few weeks of having this.

Even in 'bake' mode it cooks faster than a regular toaster oven because the fan is still running at low RPMs, moving the air around for even cooking. In convection mode it cooks so fast I have to keep an eye on things, and usually knock temps down 20 degrees or so from instructions.

It's also the VW Beetle of fryers/convection ovens. Getting replacement pans and accessories is easy. I've even seen a cookbook specifically for it.

toa70_holiday23.jpg

Back
Top Bottom