• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rub or no rub?

I am going to toss a boston butt on the smoker today, normally I put a mustard/dry rub mix on them. To me, the rubs seem to over power the taste of the meat. Dose anyone somke'em naked? I have eaten some pulled pork at some bbq joints and they did not appear to use a rub and was tasty.

Overpowering the taste of your pork? Maybe using the wrong rub. Heck, I end up adding more when I'm chopping or pulling pork.

Overpowering the taste of your pork? Maybe using the wrong rub. Heck, I end up adding more when I'm chopping or pulling pork.
I need to try different rubs . I normally toss on what ever is on sale or which ever grabs my attention. A friend of mine smoked a butt for a Super Bowl party a few years back, which was off the hook. We were at camp last week smoking some chickens, which brought up the conversation of the butt he did for that SB party, I asked him what he did to it, he said nothing but lots of smoke for a few hours then brought it to temp. I really need to start making my own BBQ sauce. Any suggestions?

Like someone else already said if you season it just right you wont need sauce...

I like a "bark" on my smoked meat so I start with whatever dry rub and add some sort of wet near the end...sometimes a BBQ sauce or mustard based mix, sometimes just apple cider vinegar mist.

Theres no "right" way to smoke a butt...just gotta play around with em and find what you like best. It IS all about not over cooking it. 1hr per pound PLUS 1 hour. Then in a foil wrap and into a cooler for 1 hour.

I need to try different rubs . I normally toss on what ever is on sale or which ever grabs my attention. A friend of mine smoked a butt for a Super Bowl party a few years back, which was off the hook. We were at camp last week smoking some chickens, which brought up the conversation of the butt he did for that SB party, I asked him what he did to it, he said nothing but lots of smoke for a few hours then brought it to temp. I really need to start making my own BBQ sauce. Any suggestions?
No recommendations on sauce recipes. I've been wanting to create my own for a few years, but folks keep giving me sauces to try and I never seem to use them up! The latest sauce (or "dip" if you're from NC) someone gave me is George's out of NC.

Last week I noticed that Quality Foods in Buford carries George's in gallon jugs, so someone must like it. Anxious to try it. Looks thin, so probably more vinegary than sweet.

Back
Top Bottom