• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Police dogs vs ctizens dogs

randomreader

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
59   0
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96229

Apparently, attacking, maiming, or killing a police dog is a federal offense, punishable by up to ten years in prison.

A dog is a dog. A german shepherd is a german shepherd, and so on. Who owns the dog doesn't change the species and breed it is.

Now, what does it say that it's Federal law that killing a police dog can be 10 years in prison--but police are allowed to shoot citizen's dogs at their discretion, without provocation other than "the dog was coming towards me/the dog was running away"?

the police bashing on this forum continues....It changes since the dog is an asset to the LEO agency and becomes a LEO officer.
Average cost to the comunity (tax payer... This is me and you) is about $75k when a new dog is purchased and trained. Does not include normal food shelter and medical costs.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96229

Apparently, attacking, maiming, or killing a police dog is a federal offense, punishable by up to ten years in prison.

A dog is a dog. A german shepherd is a german shepherd, and so on. Who owns the dog doesn't change the species and breed it is.

Now, what does it say that it's Federal law that killing a police dog can be 10 years in prison--but police are allowed to shoot citizen's dogs at their discretion, without provocation other than "the dog was coming towards me/the dog was running away"?

Didn't read the whole article, did you? Federal Law Enforcement dogs are the only ones covered by the new law, not all police dogs. All police dogs are considered "Police Officers" and assaulting one will land you in jail, but not always in Federal jail. The breed has nothing to do with it. Actually most police dogs are not Shepard but a variety of breeds that are known for specific qualities. The training and upkeep of a trained dog is very expensive, unlike your local mutt. If the average dog owner would take responsibility for their dogs and it's actions, there would be a lot less confrontations with police involving mutts. Everyone always says after the fact that "their" dog was not doing anything bad, just like the families of the bad guys saying "he was such a good boy".

Didn't read the whole article, did you? Federal Law Enforcement dogs are the only ones covered by the new law, not all police dogs. All police dogs are considered "Police Officers" and assaulting one will land you in jail, but not always in Federal jail. The breed has nothing to do with it. Actually most police dogs are not Shepard but a variety of breeds that are known for specific qualities. The training and upkeep of a trained dog is very expensive, unlike your local mutt. If the average dog owner would take responsibility for their dogs and it's actions, there would be a lot less confrontations with police involving mutts. Everyone always says after the fact that "their" dog was not doing anything bad, just like the families of the bad guys saying "he was such a good boy".

do what? usually when a dog is shot its in its own yard/home and the officer is trying to get past it

i dont know why police dogs are considered cops. they are property

So let's say I'm working for a security company that pairs their people with trained guard dogs.

So, if someone kicks a dog, or runs over one with a car, or shoots one, will they be arrested and charged for assaulting/killing security personnel?

Back
Top Bottom