• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bill of Sale vs. No Bill of Sale

Woodrow F. Call

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
I understand some folks would always want a bill of sale on a firearm sale just to cover their rear, but do you ever really need one? If you're the original owner of a firearm and it was transferred to you on a 4473, I guess it'd be a good idea to have a bill of sale with the purchaser's information on there if you sold that firearm since it could be traced back to you in an unfortunate incident. I'm interested in selling a few items that I'm the original purchaser on and didn't know if I needed bills of sale or just make sure the purchaser had a current carry license. Opinions appreciated!

Prepare yourself for multiple opinions… often becoming colorful and passionate. 🤣

Bottom line is : Do whatever makes you comfortable. It might cost you a sale here and there but it ultimately comes down to whatever helps you sleep at night. Personally, I’ve never required a bill of sale but I know who bought what from me. I’d guess most here keep some kind of record, just maybe not an official bill of sale that’s about as worthless as a warranty on toilet paper.

Legally, you don’t need them. Liability-wise, that’s your discretion. My policy is “your sale, your rules”. Bill of sale will scare off some folks (or piss off) but again, your sale, your rules. As long as you both agree, no harm no foul either way. I don’t require one but I also have a long history of PMs and texts to cover me and I also go by the other member’s feedback and time in the board for guidance for deal or no deal.

You do you, as the kids say.

Back
Top Bottom