• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bill of Sale vs. No Bill of Sale

I remember this same discussion on the Georgia gun trader board that ODT purchased after ODT was created more than a decade ago. Some discussions never stop.

On another note, what’s better…9mm or 45acp? AR or AK? Open carry or concealed carry? Sigh.

I know, you know, a GWL does not "prove" the person is not a felon. Assuming it's real, it only proves they went through the county's checks at the time of issue.
The law states you can't KNOWINGLY sell to a prohibited person. That's it. All these others machinations people go through are simply begging to paint themselves in a corner. A Democrat in office isn't going to shut anything down in regards to permitless carry. It will take an act of the legislature. (If you believe a governor has that power, why wouldn't they just declare your GWL null and void?).
The "price" of that permission slip is WAY more than the dollars you surrendered for it.
I know a Governor can't do it, (I didn't say that by the way) maybe I should have said enough democrats get in there. But a democrat Governor could reinstate a GWL license to be purchased again. I don't care for BOS's, but I will with only my name and license number on it. If that's not good enough I don't need to buy, I don't give out my address nor do I want theirs. Thus a GWL is much easier to me. $30.00 bucks renewal fee ain't much. Hell it will cost nearly that to go to gun shows, which I don't anymore.

Oh, you says that this never happens in real life, such lawsuits don't get filed? Well, my responses to that are
Lot to think about. These are the things I worry most about. Depleting my life savings to defend myself when I've done absolutely nothing wrong bums me out. I believe you, almost every day I see another lawsuit filed by some scumbag attorney somewhere (no offense :)) where you're saying you've got to be freakin' kidding me! I kinda like the idea of selling at a pawn shop on consignment. Not sure how much of a cut they'll want, but I'll ask the guy where I've transferred a couple guns and see what he says. I'm only thinking about selling a few guns and the money I'd make off of them to put towards other guns I'd rather have would not be worth a legal battle to prove my innocence of a crime or to fight a civil negligence case. I'm sure a lot of folks are rolling their eyes about what a mamby pamby I sound like, but it's just been my experience in my 56 years on this earth, if something can bite me in the ass, it rarely misses an opportunity. :doh:

But in my eyes it shows you are legal to carry. If you just go on of age, you may just be selling to a felon. I know it's not law anymore to have a carry permit, I would rather pay mine as to have a democrat get in office and shut it down, unless you already have one and are grandfathered in. Things to ponder. A cheap price for peace of the mind.
That's my thinking on the permit thing.... I realize someone could have just murdered their entire family and wants more guns, or they could have committed 15 felonies since they obtained their weapons license, but you know statistically those are not the same people. If someone has a permit, they've proven the ability to own a firearm even if they've lost that ability during that permit period. I'll also always renew mine as long as they're issuing them in my county because I'm back and forth between GA & AL all the time and last I knew there was still the reciprocity thing.

Lot to think about. These are the things I worry most about. Depleting my life savings to defend myself when I've done absolutely nothing wrong bums me out. I believe you, almost every day I see another lawsuit filed by some scumbag attorney somewhere (no offense :)) where you're saying you've got to be freakin' kidding me! I kinda like the idea of selling at a pawn shop on consignment. Not sure how much of a cut they'll want, but I'll ask the guy where I've transferred a couple guns and see what he says. I'm only thinking about selling a few guns and the money I'd make off of them to put towards other guns I'd rather have would not be worth a legal battle to prove my innocence of a crime or to fight a civil negligence case. I'm sure a lot of folks are rolling their eyes about what a mamby pamby I sound like, but it's just been my experience in my 56 years on this earth, if something can bite me in the ass, it rarely misses an opportunity. :doh:

I'm sure there are some FFLs who frequent this board who will have better information, but the consignment option is often a good path, because the FFL has an incentive to advise you on a realistic price for the gun - after all - the more it sells for, the more they make in commission, up to the price point where there won't be any buyers. So, net-net, you might be able to sell the gun at a higher price than you could reasonably expect- sufficiently high that the increase covers the commission the FFL charges.

It does mean, however, that you might not be able to make the sale as quickly, but if that's not a problem for you, the consignment path 'washes' the gun because of the background check/4473 process undertaken by the FFL.

FFLs should take lessons from sailors on odt they are continually sailing for higher than MSRP and getting away with it and no 4773

I'm an FFL. My advice, just sell your damn guns to other members on this site like a normal ****ing person and quit overthinking everything like a ******** weirdo.

If you want to make a business of selling guns get a damn license and then you can have the joy of all the paperwork like we do.

FFLs should take lessons from sailors on odt they are continually sailing for higher than MSRP and getting away with it and no 4773
If folks are that stupid, that’s on them I don’t worry about them. I always say “ don’t worry about the grasshoppers the grass, worry about my own sweet a$$.

Back
Top Bottom