• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Open carry vs concealed

A couple of reasons off hand.

For the most part there is still respect for the law which is represented by the badge, uniform, & gun. Even hardened criminals know that if they shoot or murder an Officer of the law their life is very likely forfeit.
You attack one Officer & very soon there will be as many as necessary to track down & subdue those responsible in most cases.

Most uniformed Officers have several "tools of the trade" that they have to carry as their standard duty gear. The gun is only one of those tools albeit a necessary one.
Handcuffs, O.C. spray, baton, taser, all or most of these items are carried on a gear belt where each option is available depending on the situation.

In addition to training in gun-retention techniques, most Officers have a security holster with at least a Level II or Level III retention system which slows down their draw but protects them from snatch attempts from criminals.

I agree with all that you have said.

However it doesn't address why concealed carry isn't the preferred method for Leo's if it works better.

If open carry is better for them in a life threatening situation then it stands to reason it's best for me too....

Because there certainly won't be piles of cops showing up to extract justice for me as you described would happen if someone shot a police officer. I'm just a simple businessman and father.

Wearing a vest is OC! Nothing says "I have a gun" like a vest.

I sort of agree regarding photographers vests but mostly just to "gun" people & probably some ex-Mil. & L.E.

I really like North Face, Patagonia, Columbia, etc. style fleece vests since they allow one to blend in better in most cool weather environments.

However it doesn't address why concealed carry isn't the preferred method for Leo's if it works better.

If open carry is better for them in a life threatening situation then it stands to reason it's best for me too....

Because there certainly won't be piles of cops showing up to extract justice for me as you described would happen if someone shot a police officer. I'm just a simple businessman and father.

A big part of OC for a Leo is intimidation. The patrol car, the lights, the uniform, the badge, etc. One is less likely to confront someone if they
think they are going to get there ass kicked. I prefer cc 99.9% of the time, but if I'm in a situation will I am pretty sure I will be considered an
easy target, then I OC. Not for any other reason then to show any perspective perp. I will not go down easy.

My point referencing all their duty gear is that it would b both very difficult to conceal IWB & kind of pointless w/ the badge & uniform.

However if you ask or know them personally you will find that many plainclothes Officers carry concealed.
I work & have worked with several who never OC unless in uniform.
Also every one I've ever worked with or spent time with off-duty carry concealed so as to not draw attention to themselves.

If it was better than it would be taught by the firearms training community to civilians.
You will not find one single regionally or nationally recognized firearms training professional advocating outside carry.

That speaks volumes.

Back
Top Bottom