• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Open carry vs concealed

Honest question:

If concealed carry works.... Why do LEO's open carry?

I would think you would rather do what works best...

Because I am being paid to be a deterrent and quite possibly a target now days and yes, it does work best when you are responding to any number of situations. I also have a camera that watches me and I wear body armor while I am "OCing" so when you start doing that to your trips to Wal-Mart then we can compare a little closer.

Look, it's legal, I get that . . . and if you want to stand out then more power to you. That concept just confuses me. When I'm off, I like to be off. I don't wear LEO shirts, I don't have LEO stickers, I don't want to stand out. I'm just a citizen that pisses people off because I drive 55. But, I will not be a victim, so I CC . . . everywhere.

Because I am being paid to be a deterrent and quite possibly a target now days and yes, it does work best when you are responding to any number of situations. I also have a camera that watches me and I wear body armor while I am "OCing" so when you start doing that to your trips to Wal-Mart then we can compare a little closer.

Look, it's legal, I get that . . . and if you want to stand out then more power to you. That concept just confuses me. When I'm off, I like to be off. I don't wear LEO shirts, I don't have LEO stickers, I don't want to stand out. I'm just a citizen that pisses people off because I drive 55. But, I will not be a victim, so I CC . . . everywhere.

Well interestingly enough I also have cameras and while I own body armor I rarely wear it. However between GPS tracking and dash cameras most of my day is also recorded.

And I like that you agree that in certain responding situations open carry is preferred. My responding situations would almost always involve my safety and that of my children. So thanks for the support on that.
I don't always open carry either... However I do when the situation supports that as appropriate.

We seem to believe the same thing. ;-)

I cc 99.9 % of the time. I use the Crossbreed holster. The only time I do not cc is during cold weather like this and I know I will be wearing an outer garment that does not print. I purchased this light weight concealment vest from the glock store just for those places that say no weapons allowed.

Wearing a vest is OC! Nothing says "I have a gun" like a vest.

But your whole point is concealed is better....

Except apparently if you are dressed in a uniform.

I'm just curious why clothing suddenly changes it.

I wear a uniform at work... By your logic apparently it is now better for me to open carry.

So I'm confused. You like concealed carry except if you are wearing. Certain things.

Very confusing to keep up with your train of thought.

Joined yesterday? Okay who is this?

Honest question:

If concealed carry works.... Why do LEO's open carry?

I would think you would rather do what works best...

A couple of reasons off hand.

For the most part there is still respect for the law which is represented by the badge, uniform, & gun. Even hardened criminals know that if they shoot or murder an Officer of the law their life is very likely forfeit.
You attack one Officer & very soon there will be as many as necessary to track down & subdue those responsible in most cases.

Most uniformed Officers have several "tools of the trade" that they have to carry as their standard duty gear. The gun is only one of those tools albeit a necessary one.
Handcuffs, O.C. spray, baton, taser, all or most of these items are carried on a gear belt where each option is available depending on the situation.

In addition to training in gun-retention techniques, most Officers have a security holster with at least a Level II or Level III retention system which slows down their draw but protects them from snatch attempts from criminals.

I'm sure between this thread the 100 before it and the 100 to come I'm not saying anything new but
I don't want the attention. Yes I will use my weapon (I hope) when the situation calls for it. In that same
light if that situation arises I hope that by not open carrying it will give me some element of surprise as
well as the opportunity to wait for the right time to respond.

IMHO - I find it difficult to believe that CC would offer the same access to a weapon that OC would. I think a person can become quick at accessing a CC weapon but having to remove or displace whatever piece of clothing is covering that weapon is going to detract from the ease of use.

While yes it is generally somewhat slower it really depends on the skill level of the shooter.
Many of my alumni & others that I know can "outdraw" average OC'ers from concealment because they practice their draw as well as all the other aspects of shooting defensive pistols on a regular basis.
However the element of surprise gives one a distinct advantage when done properly.

Back
Top Bottom