• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Open carry vs concealed

I sort of agree regarding photographers vests but mostly just to "gun" people & probably some ex-Mil. & L.E.

I really like North Face, Patagonia, Columbia, etc. style fleece vests since they allow one to blend in better in most cool weather environments.

I was walking out of a lunch spot as three obvious "operators" walked in wearing those multi-pocket kaki color vests. No ****, I busted out laughing. "There's three guns right there."

Personally I like sweater vests. They make me look too feminine to be a threat. I wore one out to dinner not long ago and a buddy's wife said "Wow Dave! You sure do look gay in that sweater vest." I guess that is how Jim Tressel got away with cheating for so long; you never suspect the guy in the sweater vest.

Last edited:
It's funny to think that people really think concealed is really concealed in the first place.

Most concealed options are fairly noticeable. The extra width on the pants waist. Or the belt clips and loops. All but the smallest pocket pistols are as easy to spot as any open carrier. And if you are carrying so "deeply concealed" as to be unnoticeable it's unlikely you have any kind of quick access to the weapon in the few seconds needed to use it.

In all my years dealing with the general public I lump people into 3 categories, smart- average- and stupid. With criminals filling all three categories. The average and the smart people would normally have enough common sense not to attack an armed prepared individual. Me being over 6' and 200lbs probably helps that also but that is another topic.

So that leaves the stupid.... If someone is so stupid as to choose to attack an armed individual then they are so stupid they are dangerous. They have no value for thier lives, and no comprehension of cause and effect. Since stupid people are the most dangerous - I want to make sure I have the best advantage over them.

And that's open carry for ease of access and quick response.

Of course there are variety of times I conceal carry but in any circumstance I feel it is appropriate I am open carrying.

And luckily, in my 44 years on this planet I haven't been targeted even once. Contrary to what many would think should have happened by now.

Back
Top Bottom