• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Open carry vs concealed

and to keep dragging this dead horse along . . .

I think a lot of times we forget to realize that everyone on this interweb hangout is very different. We tend to spout opinions, beliefs, and un-thought out random comments simply based on our own lifestyle and past experiences.

For example:
While I'm not a huge fan of it, open carry for me its not even practical on a regular basis. My life consist of work in a marked patrol car and uniform, gym, and hanging out with my 3 year old (I know, I'm boring). I own two pairs of jeans, one nice, and one with paint and holes. If I am not at work, I am going to be the guy that you see in tennis shoes, workout/gym style pants, and a t-shirt. Have you ever tried to put a paddle holster with a Glock 17 on gym pants??? It doesn't work . . lol. A lightweight kydex IWB with a G43 does though. My lifestyle simply doesn't dictate any need to OC.

A lot of how someone decides to carry depends on where you work, what you do, what your hobbies are, where you go on a regular basis, what kind of clothes do you wear, and what you want people to think about you. As long as you're within the bounds of the law I'm not going to judge you . . . ok, maybe I will a little if it's an open carried Hi-Point or a LCP in a paddle . . . but I'll try to keep the judging locked inside. :cool:

A lot of how someone decides to carry depends on where you work, what you do, what your hobbies are, where you go on a regular basis, what kind of clothes do you wear, and what you want people to think about you.
I think you could have shortened your list.

I was walking out of a lunch spot as three obvious "operators" walked in wearing those multi-pocket kaki color vests. No ****, I busted out laughing. "There's three guns right there."

Personally I like sweater vests. They make me look too feminine to be a threat. I wore one out to dinner not long ago and a buddy's wife said "Wow Dave! You sure do look gay in that sweater vest." I guess that is how Jim Tressel got away with cheating for so long; you never suspect the guy in the sweater vest.

Agreed.
Since I didn't just get off a helicopter from Fallujah I actually teach classes in my fleece vest ... & occasionally in my sweater vest.

It's funny to think that people really think concealed is really concealed in the first place.

Most concealed options are fairly noticeable. The extra width on the pants waist. Or the belt clips and loops. All but the smallest pocket pistols are as easy to spot as any open carrier. And if you are carrying so "deeply concealed" as to be unnoticeable it's unlikely you have any kind of quick access to the weapon in the few seconds needed to use it.

In all my years dealing with the general public I lump people into 3 categories, smart- average- and stupid. With criminals filling all three categories. The average and the smart people would normally have enough common sense not to attack an armed prepared individual. Me being over 6' and 200lbs probably helps that also but that is another topic.

So that leaves the stupid.... If someone is so stupid as to choose to attack an armed individual then they are so stupid they are dangerous. They have no value for thier lives, and no comprehension of cause and effect. Since stupid people are the most dangerous - I want to make sure I have the best advantage over them.

And that's open carry for ease of access and quick response.

Of course there are variety of times I conceal carry but in any circumstance I feel it is appropriate I am open carrying.

And luckily, in my 44 years on this planet I haven't been targeted even once. Contrary to what many would think should have happened by now.
CC people usually draw attention to them selves by their actions. There are many good ways to conceal a full size weapon. However most folks just do thing to draw attention that you wouldn't otherwise ever noticed they had a weapon.

It's funny to think that people really think concealed is really concealed in the first place.

Most concealed options are fairly noticeable. The extra width on the pants waist. Or the belt clips and loops. All but the smallest pocket pistols are as easy to spot as any open carrier. And if you are carrying so "deeply concealed" as to be unnoticeable it's unlikely you have any kind of quick access to the weapon in the few seconds needed to use it.

In all my years dealing with the general public I lump people into 3 categories, smart- average- and stupid. With criminals filling all three categories. The average and the smart people would normally have enough common sense not to attack an armed prepared individual. Me being over 6' and 200lbs probably helps that also but that is another topic.

So that leaves the stupid.... If someone is so stupid as to choose to attack an armed individual then they are so stupid they are dangerous. They have no value for thier lives, and no comprehension of cause and effect. Since stupid people are the most dangerous - I want to make sure I have the best advantage over them.

And that's open carry for ease of access and quick response.

Of course there are variety of times I conceal carry but in any circumstance I feel it is appropriate I am open carrying.

And luckily, in my 44 years on this planet I haven't been targeted even once. Contrary to what many would think should have happened by now.

I understand what your saying but have to disagree with the statement that most concealed options are noticeable but I would agree that many people don't put enough thought or invest in quality gear to avoid being "made" for those who do pay attention.

First of all, most people pay little attention unless there are very obvious signs or if part or all of the gun is visible or "flashes" like if the wind blows open a jacket or a shirt rides up exposing the grip.
While there are many "tels" that someone is carrying most people don't notice because they are not "gun" people or the environment is one in which they are occupied w/ other interests so they really aren't paying attention.

A good carry system such as a quality IWB holster or appendix style... or even other systems such as Kangaroo carry, Smartcarry, & others can be very successful at concealing the gun if the person carrying it has invested the time & money to find a quality system that works as intended & dresses around the gun.

One of my favorite stories...saw a guy open carrying at Walmart. He was looking at holsters and I struck up a conversation. He was looking for a holster that would hold a glock 26 in his boot. His thoughts were that he needed to carry two guns. His buddy told him that because he open carries that he would either be the first to be shot or disarmed in an active shooter scenario. So, it made sense to him that he would have one gun to give up and one in his boot to get back in the fight with. I quickly got all the entertainment I needed and went on my way.

Open carry doesnt scare me.

The only thing that scares me is how many gun carriers in this state will jump on ANY opportunity to bash open carry, label OCers as "idiots", and trash talk those who open carry. Most of them sound like campaigners for the democratic party and the brady campaign. They appeal to emotion and fear, and not common sense.

Before you bash OC, remember we are all on the same side. The person OCing is probably a staunch supporter of the 2nd amendment, and a defender of freedom and liberty.

I like people that open carry, because I've never heard a single person who OC's bash concealed carriers or call them idiots or trash talk them on the internet, like CC people do ALL THE TIME.

Maybe its just me, I actually prefer freedom and free will. If someone wants to carry, they should be able to choose OC or CC as they see fit. I'm just glad they're carrying.... too bad a lot of CCers dont feel the same way, what a shame really.

Back
Top Bottom