• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What happened to the work force?

Everyone's situation is different. What people value the most in their lives is different. What people value will drive their decision making process and force them to make some hard choices. We all need food and shelter to meet our most basic needs. Some enjoy an abundance others live in a constant famine.

I remember when the minimum wage was $4.25 an hour. Business owners and certain political parties fought tooth and nail to keep it that way. In 2009 the federal law changed that increased it to $7.25 an hour. Inflation and the cost of living drove the argument back then just as it drives the argument today. Now you mostly have certain political parties and their members fighting tooth and nail to keep the minimum wage at $ 7.25. At some point , the federal minimum wage will increase. Companies that pay poorly will limit their growth AND always be seeking to hire. Others will taylor the pay to the work and adjust as necessary to keep good solid employees happy. In any case, life goes on.

Everyone's situation is different. What people value the most in their lives is different. What people value will drive their decision making process and force them to make some hard choices. We all need food and shelter to meet our most basic needs. Some enjoy an abundance others live in a constant famine.

I remember when the minimum wage was $4.25 an hour. Business owners and certain political parties fought tooth and nail to keep it that way. In 2009 the federal law changed that increased it to $7.25 an hour. Inflation and the cost of living drove the argument back then just as it drives the argument today. Now you mostly have certain political parties and their members fighting tooth and nail to keep the minimum wage at $ 7.25. At some point , the federal minimum wage will increase. Companies that pay poorly will limit their growth AND always be seeking to hire. Others will taylor the pay to the work and adjust as necessary to keep good solid employees happy. In any case, life goes on.

Well said sir. I remember that 4.25 as well.

However, should the increase in Min wage (15.00) be across the board meaning Nation Wide or only for the areas that support that increase?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“SJW”? “Opportunity for a guaranteed right”?

Please explain in order to understand the context of your statement.

SJW means Social Justice Warrior..... as for 'opportunity,' the I should have added that 'opportunity' isn't a guaranteed right insofar as being success, equalization, outcome, etc..... IOW, because you have the 'opportunity' to try doesn't mean your success is guaranteed. All that depends on how hard you work, how effectively you work, etc.... ever hear of the acronym TANSTAAFL (or TINSTAAFL in the Heinlein book, "Moon is a Harsh Mistress?")

Aside from wages not keeping up with cost-of-living, another thing to take into consideration why jobs are not getting filled are corporate hiring practices. Specially when they are competing for skilled employees. I think HR departments have gotten lazy and rely too much on apps like linked-in and indeed for applicants, instead of seeking them out. That and they take their sweet ass time to get back to you, 3-4 months on average, nobody has that time to waste when they have to support a family.

However, should the increase in Min wage (15.00) be across the board meaning Nation Wide or only for the areas that support that increase?

It will always have to be done at the federal government level and across the board. The former states that comprised the Confederate States of America during the Civil War will always be in opposition.

The skillset required in order for the employer to grow their business. Case in point with LongNose LongNose post on starting wages for skilled tech's of $20/hr with lowest experience, that is $42K gross/yr. Based on your previous post on Cost of Living stats with MS being the lowest at $47K/yr, $42K won't cut the mustard if they have to pay living rates in the greater ATL metro area.

The industry pays what it pays, for a small business running on small margins there is no way to pay higher wages currently. And 42k is enough to live on in the suburbs.

You can thank social media for a lot of the discontent. These kids see folks just like them making bank with little to no work, and even do youtube on the side for the "big bucks". They do not see the years put in learning the trade and developing skills.

Just because someone gets a job, it doesn't mean they are competent to do it, regardless of what they think.

Pulling what? Job description/ details?
Underground and overhead utilities
20210610_102308.jpg

Work is work… One cant gripe and complain when that employee is signing up for the position.. They know and understand what they are getting into.

Glad to see your going to work. Stay good bub and have a great day!

Hence why nobody is taking the job. They realize that sleeping in your truck and working 70 hours a week and not being home with the family isn't worth it. Why do that for basically $18.50 an hour when target is hiring for 15 and you can be at home every night?

Back
Top Bottom