• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What happened to the work force?

It would not surprise me if there are a lot of people out there who are in the best financial position they have been in awhile. I know a few people at church that got the unemployment benefits that paid way more than they made on the jobs they lost. Unemployment benefits along with the stimmy checks has helped them pay rents in advance for 5-6 months ( one has no payment for a year ) so they can last being unemployed a whole lot longer than you think.

Come July the monthly payments for the Advance Child Tax Credit will kick in. The planned distribution dates for the checks are: July 15, Aug. 13, Sept. 15, Oct. 15, Nov. 15, and Dec. 15. These payment will further stabilize the workforce that has to take these low paying jobs. I don't think these help wanted signs will disappear anytime soon.

Keep in mind , prosperous members of the ODT take those stimmy checks , tax refund checks and soon to be Advance Child Tax Credit checks and buy another gun they don't need. People caught / trapped in the minimum wage world seem to have different spending priorities.

All we can find is the mediocre that I have to carry on top of all my other duties.
I complain about them being incompetent no matter how much I try to train. However they are laser focused on their side work and vacations.

Now my personal assistant that is incredibly talented, educated and profitable wants to leave because he only makes $17.50 an hour for a $40k+ position. He has my keys to the kingdom and trade secrets with no NDA. He's pushing out $5k an hour and has been doing so for the two years I've trained him, so I just let him do stock trades (gamble) while he works.
Im guessing you don’t own the company and can’t control this and some bonehead is making these decisions to not keep up with the market salary?

If you have the rare employee that is smart and can solve problems and is skilled in your industry, you gotta keep bumping the pay to stay ahead of the competition .

Cdl drivers
1099 or W-2 ?
Local or gone for weeks/months at a time ?
Reefer madness or drop and hook ?
Flatbed ?
Haz mat and TWIC ?

Edited to add:
Just saw the pic ,
The driver also has to operate the
badger ? Or whatever they call those things ?

yellow/roadway is now operating their own CDL school and paying $80-100k for the linehaul drivers pulling doubles between terminals at night.
Only gone two or three nights a week and YRC pays for a motel room, don’t have to sleep in the truck and listen to your dispatcher complain that you let it idle too much because you wanted the AC and heat.

If the CDL drivers are smart, that’s where they are all going .

And you throw this out here for folks to read, what are your thoughts?

Is your employer hiring? I’d be curious to know weather or not he or she can or cant keep employees on staff. I’d also be interested to know is he or she is or is not able to retain the workforce that’s currently employed and if not able to keep, why- what is the rational conveyed to the employer as to why they are leaving?

Inquiring minds want to know. I am currently on HAAF this week and just driving around on and off post there are hiring signs everywhere… Literally everywhere….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I will be at HAAF next week doing some work.

The whole concept of a government mandated "minimum wage" is about as statist as it gets. It absolutely should be done away with. If the current market doesn't prove to people that the 'minimum wage' is meaningless, then they'll never get it.
Back to the OP, there is a HUGE divide in the 'work force' at the moment and as has been pointed out there is no mystery as to why.
I've been out of work since October 1. I quit counting at around 150 applications. Not one single interview or phone call. Not one. And I've applied to things well below my experience and historical pay. But, I'm an "above average" earner (though as mentioned have applied to things well below my historical rate). That market is a completely different animal. (I've prepared for rainy days but not a Noah type event.) Now on the opposite end, my son, who just graduated high school, of course has his pick of anything he wants at $12/hour. But, that's about to change......
Google says https://dol.georgia.gov/gdol-covid-19-information you can collect $365 a week (max) in Georgia. The feds have been paying another $300 per week. $665/week is $16.63 per hour assuming full time 40 hours. To do, nothing. And people wonder why nobody wants to work for $15/hour?!?! Seriously? Now as is stated at the link, the extra $300/week is coming to an end next week. So suddenly Georgians who are collecting unemployment will only be getting what equates to $9.13/hour. You will quickly see all those $15/hour warehouse job openings begin to fill back up again. And yet people STILL won't understand why long term 'safety nets' are 100% counter productive to their stated goal. Of course there will always be those that would rather sit on the couch and earn $9 than sweat and earn $15. But that existed a year ago, 10 years ago, and will 10 years from now.

Until our uncle in the Whitehouse (congress) get together and quit giving ridiculous handouts it won't change. Free food (ebt) and other numerous government assistance programs stop! American ism, is a dying idea. Stop the idiotic ideas from these liberal clowns which never have worked outside of government, and have not a clue on managing a real word business .

Interesting. I'm currently on the job hunt. I can't find a decent employer. Some of the offers I've received are a joke. I'd be better to take a job at Publix back in groceries or McDonald's flipping burgers for 15 bucks an hour then what they're offering me salary.

If anyone has anybody hiring that's a good company and pays their people fairly I'd be happy to look into it.
Post up your skill/experience .

maybe someone here knows of a position where your skills are needed.

most places already have someone in mind when they place the ad, the ad Is just so they can’t get sued for violations of EEOC regs.

are you on linked in and some of the other places where most recruiting happens ?

Hence why nobody is taking the job. They realize that sleeping in your truck and working 70 hours a week and not being home with the family isn't worth it. Why do that for basically $18.50 an hour when target is hiring for 15 and you can be at home every night?
And most trucking companies have 150% turnover every year. The average driver leaves in less than 90 days. And it’s because they get treated like dog doo stuck to someone’s shoe , and when they figure out they are gone for weeks at a time , have to live in a truck , and only earning minimum wage because they are expected to work 80 hours a week.

Post up your skill/experience .

maybe someone here knows of a position where your skills are needed.

most places already have someone in mind when they place the ad, the ad Is just so they can’t get sued for violations of EEOC regs.

are you on linked in and some of the other places where most recruiting happens ?

My skill sets are operations and project management. I'm a certified scrum master. I have degrees in political science and criminal justice. Served in the Marines for 8 years. I work for Google for 2 years.

I'm on LinkedIn, ZipRecruiter, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom