• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford Maverick Pickup

They black balled me. Wouldn't renew my membership since I was wearing them out towing all "projects" home. Never exceeded the allowed amount of service but they cut me free!

Hey man.... Don't despair! I'm sure there is a federal towing program that you qualify for. Just tell them you own Chevies and they will sign you up right then.

Yeah it may be weeks before the feds dispatch a wrecker to help you, but it might arrive at some point.

I'll just run these two when I need a truck

Attachments

• 2018 Ram.jpeg
    2018 Ram.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail-6.jpg
    thumbnail-6.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 8
LONG post warning.
I saw a posting on a Frontier owners group that prices were much better in the southeast for trucks in general. So perhaps Nissan dealers are working more there but not here, in Texas. Of course this is a bigger truck market I guess. The Nissan dealers we're very slow to work a deal and quite honestly I don't have a lot of tolerance or time for games anymore. It appears $1,500 off plus is a good deal here. I did find one in Florida that was willing to give $4,500 off of list quickly but... he was in Florida. Almost did the deal and had it shipped. Then I decided to try to find this Tacoma. I wound up getting $4,000 off of list and eliminated all of the nonsense dealer protection packages ($800) on top of that so I was quite happy price wise (still a big check to write though!) since as mentioned it wound up being a bit less than I would have paid for the Frontier or the Maverick. As far as resell goes you must be seeing something different than I am, around here Tacomas definitely command a premium. I prefer leather too but quickly came to realize I can add nicer leather aftermarket for WAY cheaper than I can by buying something with that in a stock package. As far as your other points some of them are interesting. I suspect a Frontier V6 might pull away slightly from a Tacoma V6 (I haven't calculated the power to weight ratio but will) but I would hardly call the difference material and these are trucks not sports cars. (I can't lie though I was looking forward to the 0 to 60 times in the Maverick EcoBoost). The Frontier I tested did have a very noticeable and annoying lag in the accelerator but once it decided it wanted to get going it did move pretty good. Not nearly as much lag in the Tacoma but again I'm not quite sure it's as quick. Hard to tell these are just seat of the pants dyno observations. And again the rear seats are no comparison either from a comfort or cargo utility perspective. I almost wonder if I miss something with folding the seats in the Frontier because it just made no sense from a utility standpoint. I've read the complaints about the seating position in the Tacomas and honestly was concerned about that as I'm 6 ft tall with a 34+ inch inseam and for the life of me I can't figure out what in the world people are talking about. I was pleasantly surprised. The driver seat is power and has a height adjustment (including great range lumbar adjustment) and it's perfectly comfortable even for trips. I bought this thing 150 miles away from home yesterday and never felt the least bit uncomfortable. Surprisingly comfortable actually. The passenger seat does feel like perhaps it is a tiny bit lower than most trucks but I can't imagine it's uncomfortable and if it is, to be blunt I guess I'm not that concerned about passengers as this is my personal commuter. My wife made the trip with me and dozed off at one point so I guess it's not too uncomfortable. Probably just the company though. 😉. But I do see the ads for risers that look to be maybe an inch or inch and a half for sale so I guess it is a thing for some folks. For me the Maverick had a shocking amount of driver room. I guess it's about expectations. Again I'm coming from an Avalanche and don't expect interior room to be comparable but of the three I sat in the the Tacoma "feels" like it may be the smallest in the front but the specs say the opposite. :no idea: It's certainly not at all constraining. I'm 6 ft tall and 185ish so maybe an issue for bigger folks. We're talking about really subjective points so people really need to drive and research everything they are considering like you did. Had I been able to work a deal on a Frontier quicker I absolutely would have wound up with one because I wasn't considering a Tacoma. I didn't realize they had the cab bed configuration I was after. In retrospect I'm glad the Nissan dealers were difficult. 😉. I had a hard body back in 95 that I bought new and loved that little truck. It was a lot more utilitarian/spartan than anything you can find today so as mentioned people just needs to find what works best for them. I'm sure you'll get along life out of your Frontier and it will serve you well. Now I need to go wash my new truck and figure out all those crazy electronics. 😎
Good luck on the electronics, LOL. I also owned a Hardbody, and yes I thought it was spartan too. Thing is, if I'd bought the Toyota I'd still be driving it likely. If that one you bought last like all the other Toyota trucks I've known, you'll be good to go a long time. Besides, it's your money. So all that matters, is what you think

I think it's more important to drive what you like and keep fixing it. I have a Ford I've been driving for 30yrs. A GM for 22yrs and a Dodge for 19yrs. They all have their pluses and minuses. There's nothing you can buy that won't break down sometime. You drive it long enough, it will break down. Even though my wife's car, a Toyota Camry, has had repairs. It has only broke down once with a dead battery at @ 80K miles. The car has @ 360k on it now.
Come to think of it my cars are 40 and 32yrs old. A Monte Carlo and a Mercedes with @ 115k and 330k respectively

I spent over a year planning, looking and studying new truck purchases.
As someone not looking to buy something over $40K the big trucks models were beyond my limit.
In the end I decided I wanted leather seats.
If you go this route you will get very frustrated in this price range.
You will be at or over $60K if you look at the big 3 and Toyota.

I settled on a Nissan Pro 4-X.
Yes this truck is fully loaded and the MPG is not close to my old Honda Civic.
However, this is one robust truck.

With this truck I got a fully loaded, and I do mean loaded truck with real leather and four wheel drive
off the lot for under $50K

Did I spend more than I originally set out to do? Yes, but for the money you won't find a better deal and you won't need to buy seat risers like you will with a Toyota.

I looked at and sat in many Toyota's. Every time I did the seat height was no higher than that of my Honda Civic and the Trachoma was more difficult to get in and out of.
The Tundra? Your back North of $60K if you want leather.

A little secret here. The Nissan Frontier holds it value the same as a Toyota and the v-6 paired to their new 9 speed transmission lets this truck get up and boogie.

I spent hours and days looking and planning on what to buy. I know I'm over your price point as mentioned. But if it's a pane jane small truck you're after, I'd go look at an entry level Nissan Frontier before I would ever buy a Maverick or a Colorado. I did sit in a Maverick and the Honda Civic had more leg room and space. The maverick felt cramped.
Read the reviews on Chevy and you'll learn they use lesser quality parts on the lower end of their trucks, even within the same models.
My best advice is to put down as much of a down payment as you can. I did this to take advantage of the lowest interest rate offered which was for 36 months. So I have the truck and 36 payments left that are below $375 a month.
Right now there are still quite a few 2023 available and the dealers are willing to make huge concessions. It's a great time buy if you can avoid financing the total purchase price. In the end you'll have to do what works for your needs and budget, good luck.
I've had 2 TitanPro 4X the last one 2011 with 237K is still going strong when I sold it to a co worker. I bought a 2022 (used) Tacoma TRD 4x4 V6. I miss the Titan mostly for it's size and peppy V8. The Tacoma....meh...

Reactions: RSB
I think it's more important to drive what you like and keep fixing it. I have a Ford I've been driving for 30yrs. A GM for 22yrs and a Dodge for 19yrs. They all have their pluses and minuses. There's nothing you can buy that won't break down sometime. You drive it long enough, it will break down. Even though my wife's car, a Toyota Camry, has had repairs. It has only broke down once with a dead battery at @ 80K miles. The car has @ 360k on it now.
Come to think of it my cars are 40 and 32yrs old. A Monte Carlo and a Mercedes with @ 115k and 330k respectively

Thats the secret to sanity and a fatter bank account. Stop buying into the crazy priced new junk that has to be repaired by a "certifiiiiied technician!"! Because once you start down that path - you are locked in for the life of that pc. I mean vehicle.

The 1999 - 2007 GM trucks and SUV's and First and second gen Toyota trucks are the way to go. Easy to work on when they need it and not real expensive when they do.

Thats the secret to sanity and a fatter bank account. Stop buying into the crazy priced new junk that has to be repaired by a "certifiiiiied technician!"! Because once you start down that path - you are locked in for the life of that pc. I mean vehicle.

The 1999 - 2007 GM trucks and SUV's and First and second gen Toyota trucks are the way to go. Easy to work on when they need it and not real expensive when they do.
I do have admit parts are getting harder to come by on my old vehicles though. I knew a long time ago the time would come that I don't even like the new stuff. I started planning accordingly. I'm talking 45yrs ago. It did last longer than I thought it would though

I havent noticed a shortage for my 80s pickups. But I damn sure notice a lack of quality! Most everything is pure junk these days. Doesn't matter who sells it. (Thanks Chyna)
Yea, everything seems to be a money pit anymore. I'm just glad I don't like the new ones anymore. Course that said, it's all expensive now. Over the course of several years, I've put $5-6k in my Ford getting every little thing fixed on it. But to replace that one with a new one is $90k. The mechanic that last worked on it said everybody that came in the shop wanted that truck. He said it was worth a lot of money

Back
Top Bottom