• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Changing plugs and coils Ford 5.4

Gotta change plugs and coils on my 04 expedition
I think this is the one where the plugs break off in the engine

Any tips on how to do this ?
Need to do them tomorrow or Tuesday

I paid to have mine done on my 2004 F150, as I could tell those back plugs would be a bear to remove, even if they didn't break. The shop ended up breaking 4 plugs (they claimed to have a 10% breakage rate). And yes, they decarboned the engine first.

So I have the 2 valve with the normal plugs that usually spit out and strip the threads

Did 7 of em
Got one that will not break loose and i don't wanna damage something
Got PB blaster soaking in the hole

Gotta drive it to NC mountains soon and then to New York

I paid to have mine done on my 2004 F150, as I could tell those back plugs would be a bear to remove, even if they didn't break. The shop ended up breaking 4 plugs (they claimed to have a 10% breakage rate). And yes, they decarboned the engine first.

I got bent over when I fouled a plug in charleston, sc. I think it was $500-600 to flush the head and replace the coil and plug.......**** the dealerships

I did mine at 115,000 and 161000 last month in a 5.4 2000 f250,the trick is to turn the fuel injector connection out of the way and use 1/4 inch swivel ratchet after soaking them for a few hours in penetration oil while the engine is just warm about three mins run time, makes getting the back ones a little better to reach and remove.

When you put the new plugs in, apply a coating of never seize to the threads of the spark plug. And get ready for a shock. A set of plugs for the 5.4 costs a little over a hundred bucks. I replaced mine in my 2004 Lariat, 5.4 and didn't break any of them. But i did it like Brad Sweet said,,,,,,I started the engine cold, let it run until it got warm NOT HOT, soaked the plug hole with penetrating oil (Hilco Lube) until the engine was cool again and i began taking each one out. I did it really slow and made sure i didn't apply too much pressure at once. All 8 came out without breaking or cracking. I put a coating of never seize on the threads of each plug and put them back in. FYI,,,,,,the # 4 plug (rear passenger side) is the hardest and worst one out of em all.

Good Luck

When you put the new plugs in, apply a coating of never seize to the threads of the spark plug. And get ready for a shock. A set of plugs for the 5.4 costs a little over a hundred bucks. I replaced mine in my 2004 Lariat, 5.4 and didn't break any of them. But i did it like Brad Sweet said,,,,,,I started the engine cold, let it run until it got warm NOT HOT, soaked the plug hole with penetrating oil (Hilco Lube) until the engine was cool again and i began taking each one out. I did it really slow and made sure i didn't apply too much pressure at once. All 8 came out without breaking or cracking. I put a coating of never seize on the threads of each plug and put them back in. FYI,,,,,,the # 4 plug (rear passenger side) is the hardest and worst one out of em all.

Good Luck
I thought the anti seize went on the lower shank below the threads ?

I thought the anti seize went on the lower shank below the threads ?

www.underhoodservice.com_wp_content_uploads_Articles_03_01_2009_1110310Spark1jp_00000061620.jpg

the carbon builds up on the electrode shield and causes the tight fit and breakage
the older plugs were a crimp fit the new ones claim to be one piece
replace with MotorCraft Plugs

also engines built after 09 October 2007 had a mod done and no breakage will occur
engine date can be found on the drivers valve cove - on the white sticker sometime the date is confusing as it may be written backwards
some eariler engines went into post 10/07 Trucks, so check the date code

Last edited:
see this link and go by the FORD TSB
I like the MotorCraft carb cleaner in the red can for the soak, turns the carbon to goo
also get the Leslie Tool before you start, the recommended Rotund Tool is not as good

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=5.4+plug+change+tsb

get a hose/tube attached to a vacuum to evacuate the combustion chamber of and liquid and porcelain bits
and if you did have to break the porcelain for the puller do a lot of suction sometime a smaller hose will hold a piece and you can lift it out of the hole
after doing this and before the plugs are installed crank the engine over to further evacuate any liquid

Cherokee Ford and the Ford Dealer in Cartersville charges $300 regardless of how many plugs they break

unbolting and move the items in the way on the firewall will make getting those rear plugs out easier
also an assortment of extensions and a swivel

DO NOT USE AIR TOOLS, unless you are a...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom