• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry at the GA National Fair

You don't have to be active duty. Law states in the military service of state or federal government. That includes National Guard.

(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States

Several lawyers have weighed in that they think this applies to active. I wouldn't risk it. To each his own.

Edit: After researching this I was wrong on this point it appears.

Last edited:
But if their rights are violated they can sue.

True...but you're still taking the ride, getting booked, have to go through the hassle of making bail, maybe missing work, having an arrest record, etc etc.

The ability to sue afterwards might be making the best of a crappy situation, but it'd be nicer if the cops just knew the damn law to begin with, just as they expect us "civilians" to do.

Several lawyers have weighed in that they think this applies to active. I wouldn't risk it. To each his own.

Based on what? Nothing in the law says anything about active duty. Or do you mean active vs inactive ready reserve? The former carries the same military ID as any other service member. The former does not, IIRC.

It says employed in the military service of the state. National Guard soldiers and airmen are employed in the military service of the state. This is the first I've heard of anyone saying it applies to active duty only.

True...but you're still taking the ride, getting booked, have to go through the hassle of making bail, maybe missing work, having an arrest record, etc etc.

The ability to sue afterwards might be making the best of a crappy situation, but it'd be nicer if the cops just knew the damn law to begin with, just as they expect us "civilians" to do.

Of course the flip side is you know the law, worry the police don't and thus don't carry and then need it and die.

Of course the flip side is you know the law, worry the police don't and thus don't carry and then need it and die.

Of course. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of the law and I carry with confidence. But I've talked to too many cops who had no clue to have a lot of confidence in them in this regard.

dunkel said:
You don't have to be active duty. Law states in the military service of state or federal government. That includes National Guard.

I was thinking of something else, I think you are correct.

Based on what? Nothing in the law says anything about active duty. Or do you mean active vs inactive ready reserve? The former carries the same military ID as any other service member. The former does not, IIRC.

It says employed in the military service of the state. National Guard soldiers and airmen are employed in the military service of the state. This is the first I've heard of anyone saying it applies to active duty only.

Sorry missed this I believe you are correct.

Wow, just wow! We got people thinking it's legal to open carry with no GWCL (it ought to be legal, but it's not), and another saying it's illegal to carry with a GWCL in State Parks. Some people need to read the laws HERE and HERE. They also need to read the "Frequently Asked Questions" section at GeorgiaCarry.org.

Sorry missed this I believe you are correct.

My ID card says active and I am a reservist. I Assume its the same for National Guard. I can only speak for Army by the way. A lot of people tell me to get my license, however I am stubborn. I rather fight it in court, and win, that give money to the government.

Back
Top Bottom