• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry at the GA National Fair

Wow, just wow! We got people thinking it's legal to open carry with no GWCL (it ought to be legal, but it's not), and another saying it's illegal to carry with a GWCL in State Parks. Some people need to read the laws HERE and HERE. They also need to read the "Frequently Asked Questions" section at GeorgiaCarry.org.

I do everyday, and I dont have a GWCL. I have a military ID.

two officers sitting in my very living room right now state "all persons carrying or possessing any firearm in a state recognized park or gathering spot shall be arrested and prosecuted!"

So after all the above links to the law, did you inform your cop buddies that they are WRONG! Ya know, you would think that they would actually bother to educate themselves on the law that they are supposed to enforce. That is their job.

If I wandered around work and just did whatever the hell I thought might be right and never bothered to actually look up specs, I would be fired. And I'm not dealing with people's lives or Constitutional rights, I'm just dealing with airflow in HVAC duct work.

Last edited:
jason.bellini

Here is the current Georgia Code for carry in State Parks and other locations. Inform your LEO buddies for us would you. Thanks.

http://georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

I will take a picture for everyone this saturday of stone mountains rules and regulations when i bring my kids there. It states very clearly,"NO WEAPONS ALLOWED." along with that, two officers sitting in my very living room right now state "all persons carrying or possessing any firearm in a state recognized park or gathering spot shall be arrested and prosecuted!" Like I said before, I will be at the park come Saturday and I will post a picture for all! I dont know what or who to believe on this subject as we all know officers are human as well and can be wrong. I personally would not take a chance carrying in a park but i will be the first to apologize if I am wrong. I think everyone should have the right to carry but at the same time, I know people who carry because they think its cool or they just want to look "bad ass" when in reality they are the ones who most likely dont know how to use there firearm or even when the proper time is to engage with it...if they even will....
AGAIN, I will take a picture of the sign at stone mountain Saturday so there are no confusions or arrests...

I see you edited this after I first saw it.

Weapons: Bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, fishing spears or any device that discharges projectiles by any means is prohibited. Firearms must be unloaded, cased and stored, unless a person possesses a valid weapons-carry license for a firearm that is valid in Georgia. A person possessing a valid weapon-carry license to carry a firearm valid in this state may carry such firearm on Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, except on sites where carrying such firearm is prohibited by federal law. Firearms except those that are unloaded, cased and stored are not permitted on sites that are leased, federal Army Corps of Engineers property, including:
Red Top Mountain
Seminole
George T. Bagby
Florence Marina
Tugaloo
Hart
Bobby Brown
Richard B. Russell
Elijah Clark
Mistletoe

http://gastateparks.org/Rules

- - - Updated - - -

Who do you believe now?

What's frustrating is that even the cops don't know the law 100%...but if they screw up and get it wrong, the only person that suffers is the lawful carrier wrongfully arrested or prosecuted. If the lawfully intentioned carrier gets it wrong, again, they're the ones that suffer.

While you may go through the frustration of booking, you will not be prosecuted. No prosecutor will take the case if you were clearly following the law. You may not even get booked if you try and get them to talk to a superior who hopefully knows better.

And we appreciate your service, but we are mainly talking about regular civilians. Not people that are exempted from the carry laws by O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130

It was addressed in this thread.

And it was also addressed in the links I provided, but I don't think many people want to read the actual law. They want some one to interpret the laws for them, and then tell them about it on the interweb. :)

LexisNexis is your friend. It has all the current Georgia code. http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/

If you actually want to read the law go there.

Click on Title 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
Chapter 11 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
Article 4 - DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
Part 3 - CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

While you may go through the frustration of booking, you will not be prosecuted. No prosecutor will take the case if you were clearly following the law. You may not even get booked if you try and get them to talk to a superior who hopefully knows better.

Well, id hope that'd be the case. Fortunately, I haven't yet been in that situation. Even if this is the case, my point stands...it's unfortunate that the people charged with enforcing the laws are often so ignorant of the laws.

Back
Top Bottom