• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Camping scare stories.

Somebody told me they see a Native American ghost occasionally running around a golf course somewhere up in the North Georgia area. Anyone ever heard of that?

There are some great stories here.
The reason I ask which house, is there is a house in a neighborhood called sweetwater estates in lilburn. That fits this description.
The house is now a rental but some time mid 70s-mid 80/“s a dad killed his wife and kids. Supposedly, Chopped them up with an axe and threw them in a lake or swamp close by. The guy disappeared and was never caught as far as I know. I confirmed it happened with a long time lilburn officer now retired (in early 2000s) who was friend’s with my father and residents’ in the lilburn area “remembered it in a news paper”. I have never found this article.

The officer acknowledged that generally it happened and basically told me to stop asking him about it. He refused to confirm any parts of the “story”. This was in early 2000s before retirement. I knew to drop it as he didn’t like to be pressed.
A neighbor/friend of mine who moved in down the street well after all this happened told me the story was true or close according to the “neighborhood.”

Anyways the house was in a trust or something along those lines and the house sat vacant for years. Supposedly the family had no close relatives or at least in the area, according to “legend”. One of the family cars was there and the family’s items supposedly were still inside for many many years. I remember the car was in the open garage under an overhang and looked dilapidated (maybe an old Plymouth?). It disappeared for several weeks and was returned. I saw this as kid in the late 80s. My dad drove us past a few times because he had heard the story and my siblings wanted to see if it was true (and he liked to scare us, all in good fun!). This of course freaked everyone out who knew about the story as the car looked like it wouldn’t run. No one knew why it was gone and then brought back. Especially since it looked like a junker at this point and probably couldn’t have been cranked/hot wired and drive off. Did the suspect/father come back in town??? Who knows probably just vandals but still creepy.

Many local teens (not me)broke in the late 80s and 90s & confirmed much of family’s items were still in the home. The house was gratified and etc. It was an ongoing nuisance for the police and area. Teens that went in said it was definitely haunted.

I had a friend who was going to start a podcast and we did research on this story. The show/podcast in general never took off. That friend moved on to much bigger and better things. We were able to confirm some parts of the story and people who “should “ know acknowledged that the general facts were correct (see above). Oddly However, I could never find that news article or any other victim or individual’s names.

Once the Trust sold it (or whatever legal holding), or it was condemned/taken over, it was rehabed and rented by new owners. The records were very vague and the “trust” was not in the “father’s” name or family’s name. So no idea who they were.
Initially nothing was done because trust had paid the bills. I assume the trust (if that’s what it was called?) is dissolved? The “trust” seemed to have been tied to the initial development of the neighborhood but heck if I know. The old records are pretty crappy & I’m not a paralegal.

I will say that the house was bought by several different companies/owners over the years for rentals, it was sold quite a few times and since at least 1999ish, the renters never stayed very long. It is or was at least a high turnover property. Hmmm. Obviously many believe it to be haunted.

Someone above mentioned Jesus and the Swine. This neighborhood has a weird feel and started having crime/gunfire etc even before the general area took a turn for the worse. I believe there were other violent crimes in that neighborhood with murders in that general neighborhood. We know a lot of general facts but not specifics, if the guy was caught or if the “story” has gotten blown into something that’s now false. But the place and the general area is still creepy even after being rehabilitated.
If you could, pm me the address and any other info please. I'll try to to check my old email for a hit. It was a rental company that purchased the home. I believe the company was Invitation Homes.

At West Point when I was a cadet, I lived in very old barracks on post called Pershing. I was a freshman and not allowed to leave campus at all. I felt like a prisoner. My buddies and I all heard the stories about USMA being haunted. And as winter drew near and the nights got longer and colder, it definitely had an eerie feeling around campus. I hated going down into the basement to workout in the gym or get our trunks (storage boxes) out of the trunk room. The basement looked like an old hospital with a morgue. Everything was also gray, granite. Just real dark and dreary with very old lighting.

Well it was early October and one of the seniors let us borrow his projector to watch discovery planet earth. It was a smaller meeting room that could seat 6-8 people with a small pull down projector screen. It was Saturday night around 9 pm, in 2006. There was one very bright light on the wall about 6 feet up, that was mounted over a mirror. You had to reach for and twist the small metal knob on the right hand side to turn it off. It made two distinct click sounds. Well we were freshman and the rule was that you couldn’t have any doors shut. So the door was open and the light was off. I was sitting at the head of this table with my back to the light, watching planet earth and two of my buddies were on my right and three more on my left.

We were about half way through planet earth when we heard the door slowly creak close, we all turned around, and then we heard the two distinct clicks of the little knob on the light turn and then the light turned on. We all looked at each other and said nope, not tonight. And we stopped watching the series, packed everything up, and locked ourselves in our room. I don’t believe in ghosts but that scared the crap out of me and is burned in my brain forever.

Also, there is a rumor around campus that on certain nights you can see ghosts of deceased graduates marching hours in central area.

There is another story called the lost 50s about a deceased cadet, who wouldn’t let the cadets that occupied his room get up out of bed. So cadets who lived in the room were routinely late for formation. They ended up getting rid of the room and turning it into an open study area.

The superintendents house is haunted and several guests throughout the history of the home reported wallets or jewelry being moved to different parts of their rooms. Several superintendents have reported personal belongings and furniture moved when coming home from work or field exercise.

At West Point when I was a cadet, I lived in very old barracks on post called Pershing. I was a freshman and not allowed to leave campus at all. I felt like a prisoner. My buddies and I all heard the stories about USMA being haunted. And as winter drew near and the nights got longer and colder, it definitely had an eerie feeling around campus. I hated going down into the basement to workout in the gym or get our trunks (storage boxes) out of the trunk room. The basement looked like an old hospital with a morgue. Everything was also gray, granite. Just real dark and dreary with very old lighting.

Well it was early October and one of the seniors let us borrow his projector to watch discovery planet earth. It was a smaller meeting room that could seat 6-8 people with a small pull down projector screen. It was Saturday night around 9 pm, in 2006. There was one very bright light on the wall about 6 feet up, that was mounted over a mirror. You had to reach for and twist the small metal knob on the right hand side to turn it off. It made two distinct click sounds. Well we were freshman and the rule was that you couldn’t have any doors shut. So the door was open and the light was off. I was sitting at the head of this table with my back to the light, watching planet earth and two of my buddies were on my right and three more on my left.

We were about half way through planet earth when we heard the door slowly creak close, we all turned around, and then we heard the two distinct clicks of the little knob on the light turn and then the light turned on. We all looked at each other and said nope, not tonight. And we stopped watching the series, packed everything up, and locked ourselves in our room. I don’t believe in ghosts but that scared the crap out of me and is burned in my brain forever.

Also, there is a rumor around campus that on certain nights you can see ghosts of deceased graduates marching hours in central area.
Bet most of these folks don't know how fun marching hours are, ;-)

oh I can add one from this weekend! Took my wife to midtown Atlanta for dinner at the Optimist. But since it was a drive and we were going to be drinking we decided to make it an adventure and get a hotel for the night. Booked the Artmore, and they put us in a 3rd floor (top floor) room that had a living room/kitchen and then a small flight of stairs up to the bedroom/bathroom. It's an old building, a bit run down, and really out of place surrounded by skyscrapers and modern stuff.

We got there early afternoon and they let us check in, so we wandered around the area while that storm came through. Hung out at McCray's Tavern and headed back to the hotel for a rest before Dinner. had some sexy time. Not relevant to the story, but I'm married so it's cause to celebrate. Anyway, I think I hear knocking downstairs (which is weird because the rooms have doorbells) and ignore it. Gets louder so I go to investigate it. Some guy starts to open the door! It's chain locked and my 365xl is up and ready as I yell at him to GTFO and back up. Turns out he's maintenance but thought the room was empty, it wasn't until my dumb ass in some underpants, yelling, and pointing a gun in his general direction that he figures out it's locked for a reason.

So I was on a bit higher alert than usual. Getting dressed for dinner and the ceiling starts dripping at one of the seems. Like right onto the desk and carpet in the room, and it's getting worse. Starts coming in around the windows. I made the joke that we'll see "REDRUM" on the mirror when we get back from dinner. Switch rooms (to one with the same lay out) and head out for a nice dinner. Great food, only one drink because the prices, head back to the hotel to watch some TV and drift off. I don't like TV on as I sleep so my wife turns it way down watching some silly movie, turns it off and goes to sleep.

This room doesn't leak, and with no kids screaming to wake up we both sleep in till like 8, which is amazing. Sun is out and it's nice and bright, clearly day time. Wife and I are talking in the bed about just killing time and hanging out a while, and the TV blinks quick. then turns on at FULL VOLUME, with static screaming through the screen. We both look at the remote that's very clearly 3 feet away from her and wasn't touched.

I say something to the effect of "welp, the ghost is clearly tired of us in this room" and wife gets pale and says "yeah, we're leaving this instant". So we did.

About 20 years ago we took my 350 pound mother in law camping with us. We went to Carter's Lake in our 32 foot motor home and parked at a campsite in the Doll Mountain Campground. Gertrude took the queen size bed and refused to allow my wife to sleep with her. My wife slept on the couch that also served as a bed and I slept on the dining table that doubled as a bed. Gertrude need the cushions from the table to prop up her legs so I slept on the bare wood benches and table top. Gertrude barely fit thru the bathroom, door and wouldn't fit in the shower, but it didn't matter because she seldom bathed. When she sat on the toilet she couldn't stand up so I had to pull her up while holding my breath. By the third day our food was running low, the black water tank was full, and my back was hurting so bad I could hardly walk. We had planned to stay a week and took enough food to last even longer. The trip home would have bearable if the motorhome hadn't smelled like the bathroom at a Pakistani owned gas station. As soon as my back stopped hurting I sold the damn motorhome.
Now that is truly frightening!

Back
Top Bottom