• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to do my first face to face firearms transfer

Although it’s a long shot, a BOS would offer some protection to both parties:

1) For seller to prove he wasn’t in his possession if buyer robs a bank and leaves that handgun behind (that is if FBI could even trace the handgun’s chain of possession).

2) For buyer to have some evidence of the date and from whom he purchased the handgun.. IF that handgun was previously stolen.

Again, they are long-shot, near worst case scenarios and I personally don’t subscribe to using them.

As people have mentioned, unless it's notarized, anyone can create one anytime they like.

"creating one later" and handed to an FBI agent would be a crime without having the actual seller's or buyers ID and the seller or buyers genuine signature (and the ID in which to compare it).

Given what a bill of sale is, prove they didn't show you fake documents.

We're talking about does an unnotarized BOS prove anything ?

You people are fluffing over nothing. There's no way that having a bill of sale is a ugly dirty thing. I get some and sometimes I just get excited about buying a firearm from someone and forget about it. But, if you do have one it shows that you're trying to be honest. If you're going to trade with somebody who doesn't have any positive feedback and they completely refuse to do a bill of sale I would be wary. When everybody has their hands on top of the table everything's clear. Okay, moving on from that. To our friend is having his first face-to-face. Make sure you tell someone where you're going and what you're going to do and when you should be done and then give him a call afterwards and tell him everything went okay hopefully. Open places are fine but they're not perfect. Meeting at a police station is a good idea especially if the other party doesn't want to then you should smell a fish. Also taking a friend along is not a bad idea either. If you remember from the great movie Outlaw Josey Wales, the old Indian said he's looking for an edge. Always try to have the sun to your back, figuratively not literally. And you should be fine. Something else I always do is make sure you recap the deal before you set up the meet. Preferably in a text so that both parties can go back and make sure. Because it's not what you said or what you meant it's what you wrote that counts.

damn-just-damn.jpg

PS to... my last rant. If you're trading ammo, make sure you check your boxes to make sure that they're full. I've done trades and end up finding a the clip load is missing. It it was an honest mistake, it's hard to tell in a 50-round box if 7 are missing. So just to let you know make sure your boxes are full.

Back
Top Bottom