• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is 10mm worth getting into?

Yeah, 15+1 in my case. I have a couple 6 shot .357's and a .44 Mag, several 38 specials... But if I can get better than .357 Mag ballistics with 15+1 capacity and fast mag reloads... Best of all worlds, in my opinion...

To bring this discussion back down to planet Earth, you are not going to get "better than .357 ballistics" with a 10MM when shooting max loads.

The problem that you run into is that as the bullets get heavier and longer, they have to be set back further into the case of a semi-automatic round while the revolved bullet can be set out further, allowing a heavier charge. When you get into the realm of 180 gr. bullets, the .357 comes out ahead, and will have more penetration if that is your goal.

You can run a .357 at 1500-1700 fps, and no 10MM load will safely to this,

Well... Better to have too many than not enough. haha

Correct, only you can judge your competence with your pistol.

There simply are no incidents of a civilian "not having enough" rounds with any weapon.

I mean, it's like a meteorite falling on your head - it could happen.

To bring this discussion back down to planet Earth, you are not going to get "better than .357 ballistics" with a 10MM when shooting max loads.

The problem that you run into is that as the bullets get heavier and longer, they have to be set back further into the case of a semi-automatic round while the revolved bullet can be set out further, allowing a heavier charge. When you get into the realm of 180 gr. bullets, the .357 comes out ahead, and will have more penetration if that is your goal.

You can run a .357 at 1500-1700 fps, and no 10MM load will safely to this,

Actually, one of the brands that I saw was pushing a 135gr bullet to 1,600fps, for 767ft/lbs of energy, with a larger diameter bullet, for a larger hole and larger surface area to transfer energy.... There are some hot 200gr loads as well, delivering over 700ft/lbs...

Buffalo Bore has some good stuff

Correct, only you can judge your competence with your pistol.

There simply are no incidents of a civilian "not having enough" rounds with any weapon.

I mean, it's like a meteorite falling on your head - it could happen.

I often carry a revolver, so I feel competent with 5 or 6 rounds... But the idea of 15+1 in a stout caliber like that appeals to me for more dangerous situations...

I know that ammo prices are crazy, but some of the lesser used calibers are still actually reasonable...
Yes
I never owned a 10mm, but I see that there is a new Springfield XDM in 10mm for $549 and it sounds like a potent round for defense, or hunting, etc...

Is it all it is cracked up to be, or more of a niche/novelty?

Back
Top Bottom