• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is 10mm worth getting into?

I've seen the same with 357 SIG, it's pretty much it's normal price and available on the shelf of almost any gun store around. So much for the idea of 'caliber consolidation'. Seems like you always want to have some oddball ones in the mix.

That Blazer 10mm is good plinking ammo though. Reasonably accurate, reliable, and has enough oomph to cycle any 10mm pistol well. I haven't had much luck with MagTech, but S&B (if it's still around) also seems to run well in just about anything.

SG Ammo has the Blazer for $580 (pre-tax and ship), so your $550 all-in was a good deal. They have some Privi for around that, but I haven't had a lot of luck with that brand in any caliber.

Shot my new G20 this weekend - amazed at 1) the lack of recoil (I flinched like crazy on the first shot) 2) accuracy - I shoot it better than any of the smaller Glocks I own. Seems to recoil similar to a .45 acp with American Eagle and maybe like a .357 or 9mm+P with the Underwood stuff. Post elk hunt this will become the nightstand gun, Trijicons go on it Tues!! TLR1 fits like a glove.

1,000 freedom seeds delivered today. Can't wait to get to the range to play with this new gun...

119925495_10157654445111588_4458349384492001457_o.jpg

LOL... neither could the men.

They kept reducing the loads to try and improve the qualification pass rates until they switched to 40 in disgust.

That being said, the 10 is a nice round. You can get barnstormers like Underwood for serious stuff, but still find 40-level plinking loads for reasonable prices (or you could). It works equally well in a 1911, a revolver or a striker fired polymer gun.

Heck, I even bought one of the HiPoint carbines in 10mm, and with the HighTower Armory chassis that thing is a blast to shoot.

It's probably one of the most interesting, versatile and history-laden rounds out there today.

It all changes with a longer barrel! I want a gas-operated 10mm, or at least ar AR-pattern one where I could play with buffer weight. I could handload that with some super-slow powders into some very serious velocity, with a 12"+ barrel. But I don't think the blowback guns are designed for what I have in mind. Neither are the 9mm PDWs, where one could do the same thing. It wouldn't be anything like a .357 out of a carbine barrel, but a pretty good bump up in energy. Probably won't make a difference in "stopping power" though, even then. But it would be a fun experiment, assuming the carbine would feed lead flat-nose bullets (the HPs won't be optimized for the velocity range I'm after).

It’s a very powerful round if you reload or buy the hot stuff (Buffalo bore) ( underwood etc) if planning to shoot of the shelf stuff I would look 357 or 44 mag. Some people say “ oh but the recoil it’s less this and that “ I’m telling you the recoil of hot ( real) 10mm ammo in a Glock it’s not fun to shoot either , the only advantage it’s capacity that’s it . I sold my g20c when I crono 3 different types of ammo vs my xdm 10 and saw the huge 200 ish fps that it looses in velocity. To me is not worth it . By the same token with 357 I can do loads that blow away any 10mm in speed , the more speed with hard cast bullets allow deeper penetration .with the longer 357 cases you can do wonders, I like both and own weapons in both calibers, but to me the 357 is more versatile

Well, I have 1,000 rounds of Blazer for plinking, and even that "light" loaded 200gr stuff is still pushing towards 500ft/lbs... I also have some Magtech that is a bit hotter, and several boxes of Underwood, the good stuff...

Can't wait to fire this thing...

Back
Top Bottom