• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is 10mm worth getting into?

I would just be very interested as to how I can safely get a 180 grain bullet moving 1500-1700 FPS out of a 6” .357. He must clearly know something I don’t.
He never said you could get a 180 357 at that velocity, speer #14 110hr 357 1693fps. I disagree with his statement. a 10 mm in a little bit more powerful it's just not enough I think to make a big difference

The concern should not be the caliber but shot placement, either is adequate for the intended purpose of man or beast up to Black Bear. Normally a six-shot revolver at the most with an additional speedloader would get you through most all situations. Now if you get caught up in a riot and get attacked even 18 rounds may not be enough...

He never said you could get a 180 357 at that velocity, speer #14 110hr 357 1693fps. I disagree with his statement. a 10 mm in a little bit more powerful it's just not enough I think to make a big difference
I re-read his post and you are correct. He did not say a 180 grain, just a .357. I’m a bit disappointed, I thought there was a bit of reloading alchemy I’d missed out on.

GA Arms used to have a "Deer Stopper" .357 loading that they sold.. It was a Speer Gold Dot 158gr pushing out at 1,475fps, or at least that is what they claimed... 763ft/lbs at the muzzle is pretty stout for a .357 and is right there with the hotter 10mm loads... that was about the hottest .357 loading that I ever shot personally.

Maybe some 10mm loads are a tiny bit hotter, but quibbling over a few ft/lbs either way when you are in the 700+ club, is likely moot in 99.9% of the encounters we might ever have, I imagine...

I still feel like 15+1 of that kind of power, is a force to be reckoned with, either in the woods, or in a riot or whatever... If I can do my part, it will do it's part, no doubt...

GA Arms used to have a "Deer Stopper" .357 loading that they sold.. It was a Speer Gold Dot 158gr pushing out at 1,475fps, or at least that is what they claimed... 763ft/lbs at the muzzle is pretty stout for a .357 and is right there with the hotter 10mm loads... that was about the hottest .357 loading that I ever shot personally.

Maybe some 10mm loads are a tiny bit hotter, but quibbling over a few ft/lbs either way when you are in the 700+ club, is likely moot in 99.9% of the encounters we might ever have, I imagine...

I still feel like 15+1 of that kind of power, is a force to be reckoned with, either in the woods, or in a riot or whatever... If I can do my part, it will do it's part, no doubt...
I would agree that capacity is the issue far more than the ballistic superiority. I love and shoot both rounds.

Back
Top Bottom