• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Is MK 262 MK262 Mod 1-C?

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
Trying to further my knowledge on this awesome performing round. I did some reading today and some of it has me believing not all Mk262 is the same. Apparently the Mod 1-C uses a Sierra match king projectile vs what I buy from Midway having a nosler or hornady projectile.....maybe? The SMK is supposed to be more accurate but the other offers better performance on a soft target? All just sales hype? I'm so confused.

Didn't know there was a mod to it. Seems like something the military would do. Anyways, when the mil awards the contract for ammo there is a spec sheet put out that outlines whatever brass, primer, powder and bullet to use so the next batch could be made by a different manufacturer should they offer a lower bid. Some of these sheets have been leaked or made public. It's how we know m118LR uses RL15 while MK 316 uses imr 4064. Both with federal primers, LC brass and 175 SMK. It also lists allowable powder variance, bullet seating depth etc.

Anyways, see if you can find those sheets on MK 262 and mod 0. It will tell you exactly what goes into both rounds. Including if it's a powder accessible to us peasants or if it's a canister powder. Might be able to roll your own if either shoots particularly well in your guns.

As for projectile choice. The spec sheets are usually accompanied by a power point style presentation explaining why each component was selected. While it might be marketing wank, it might lend some insight as to why it was chosen.

The one ATK put out for mk316 was basically. LC brass and federal primers because uniformity and consistant ignition. I read that to mean, ATK owns the LC plant and Federal so we're making extra profit.

Powder was for temperature stability and velocity gains over RL15 in the 118LR load. I read this to mean ATK was sad they had to fork money over to Hodgdon for the powder because the military said so.

And the 175 SMK because it's accurate, stable, easy to load etc. I read this to mean, the marines have been cutting m40 barrels for this bullet for decades and the army chose to build the M24 to specifically shoot the 175 smk well. It was the only choice of projectile despite there being ballistically or terminally better options.

To answer your specific question as to why they would have a smk and a hornady hpbt loading. You might not find an answer but it's probably something very mundane. Like, we ran out of smk bullets and hornady said they could send some of theirs and we kinda liked them so let's make it official.

Trying to further my knowledge on this awesome performing round. I did some reading today and some of it has me believing not all Mk262 is the same. Apparently the Mod 1-C uses a Sierra match king projectile vs what I buy from Midway having a nosler or hornady projectile.....maybe? The SMK is supposed to be more accurate but the other offers better performance on a soft target? All just sales hype? I'm so confused.
Everything you need to know Mk262. Nothing is the same, Black Hills uses a proprietary powder.

He took 26 minutes on a history lesson bit didn't address the different projectiles. From what he said, the difference in the black and red box vs the mod 1-C is just the can with the markings and the test data sheet. The different powder has gone away, atleast to what he said. I know the black and red box will shoot, I've done it beyond what it's supposed to do.

He took 26 minutes on a history lesson bit didn't address the different projectiles. From what he said, the difference in the black and red box vs the mod 1-C is just the can with the markings and the test data sheet. The different powder has gone away, atleast to what he said. I know the black and red box will shoot, I've done it beyond what it's supposed to do.
I haven’t watched that full video in a while but I don’t remember him saying it’s gone away. The powder was modified to be more temp stable I believe.

And are you talking about the issues with the non cannelure bullets? Pretty sure he discussed that.

I haven’t watched that full video in a while but I don’t remember him saying it’s gone away. The powder was modified to be more temp stable I believe.

And are you talking about the issues with the non cannelure bullets? Pretty sure he discussed that.
The issue in question is on the projectile itself. Some suppliers suggest there black hills mk262 has a hornady or nosler projectile, others a Sierra match king. The only difference he noted was for a bit, the power in the black and red box was not the same as the military powder, but indicated that it was now back to the same.

You're right, not all Mk262 ammo is the same. There are a few different variations of Mk262, and some of them use different projectiles. Here's a quick breakdown:

Mk262 Mod 1: This is the original Mk262 load, and it uses a Sierra MatchKing (SMK) projectile. It's known for its accuracy and long-range performance.

Mk262 Mod 1-C: This is a commercial version of the Mk262 Mod 1, and it also uses the SMK projectile.

Mk262 Mod 0: This is a different version of Mk262 that uses a Nosler or Hornady projectile. It's supposed to offer better performance on soft targets, but may not be as accurate as the SMK version.

So, to answer your question, the differences between these loads are not just sales hype—they do use different projectiles and may perform differently in different situations. If you're primarily concerned with accuracy and long-range performance, the Mk262 Mod 1 or Mod 1-C with the SMK projectile is probably your best bet. If you're more concerned with terminal performance on soft targets, the Mk262 Mod 0 with the Nosler or Hornady projectile might be a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom