• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I had an incident and I handled it wrong.

I guess this is the place.

Last night I was lying in bed with my kid on my chest asleep. I hear my wife who was watching tv up front call for me and then hear the alarm being disarmed. When I heard the alarm I returned to the bedroom to grab a pistol. When I heard her call I didn't know if it was a roach or a gunman. I ask her what and she says there is a guy at her car and two more in the neighbors yard. We have had nightly break ins of unlocked cars in a 1/4 radius and they were checking ours. Of course the wifes was locked and there is nothing in my Jeep I wouldnt give you so to safe my soft top it stays unlocked.

I proceed outside telling my wife to call 911 to see three men standing 100 yards down the road. I take off toward them and they scatter like roaches across my neighbors corner lot into a church and into the darkness. I returned home and filed a report the cop is a friend of mine and found the story entertaining. They had just driven by 5 mins prior and the guys were probably hiding.

I then realize here I am a 37 5'7" 140lb male barefooted in boxers and a t shirt and a Glock 19. Looking back I wish I had grabbed my running shoes instead of my pistol. As I'm running across the lot I realize that I can do nothing. I have no place to holster my gun if I were to tackle the guy or guys. I can't drop it and certainly at this point can't shoot them.

Once I got home while glued to the window I began to think about everything that went wrong.
1. I grabbed my 19 Im far to dependent on my firearm. There are other things I should have grabbed.
2. Chasing someone barefooted I assume is like recoil and noise in the heat of the moment it wasnt an issue.
3. I should have grabbed my pants. I would have had phone, flashlight,id, oc, knife, holster etc. I would have had more choices.
4. I should not have chased three men. There is nothing outside my house that is worth me shooting someone over. I am no match against three young thugs.
5. I should have called 911 and stalked them in the darkness and hopefully helped capture them.

I did answer the question if I had to use a handgun which would I choose. Glock 19.

As "CCW" stated you got a "freebie".... definitely time to re-evaluate in case there is a "next time".

Like you noted several mistakes to learn from.
In addition to leaving the safety of your house (which also leaves your family at risk if there are/ were others specifically targeting your house)
having the wife call 911 is exactly right. Just make sure she knows to give them a very good description of you & tells them you're armed IF you go outside which hopefully wouldn't always be your first choice.

Part 2 of #5, not the best idea. That is a great way to get shot by the police by accident when their lights expose a man armed with a GUN skulking about in the dark. With very few exceptions, in most cases no cop I know or work with would want an armed civilian "helping" capture the bad guys as much as the home-owner may want to.
That exposed gun makes you a threat to the police till proven otherwise.

Many "good guys" have been shot by mistake in similar circumstances.

Another good example of "not being able to form a plan in the middle of a fight".

While you can't have a plan for every possibility there are many events, including this one, that you can plan for.

I bet you will have one next time... hopefully that allows you to stay in the house unless it is absolutely necessary to do otherwise.

Not saying to quake in hiding & in fear every time you hear a noise outside but, as you stated, to leave the family... as well as cover/ concealment to run ill prepeared out into the darkness is just not the most tactically sound way to handle things.

Glad it worked out though. Everyone makes mistakes but the key, as you said, is to learn from them & be smarter next time.

Last edited:
Had a friend run out to see what was going on with his car alarm and was shot. He did not make it and the police caught the guy with my friends radio in his hands as he ran out to the street. I'm glad they caught him but it didn't bring my friend back. I learned from this, if you have an alarm or panic button on any of your car keys use it. Maybe flash front light off and on. Normally that will be enough to SCARE thieves away.. But NEVER NEVER go outside to pursue. You got lucky and hope you won't do it again, because 3 guns will beat 1 Glock 19 almost every time!! Let police do their job if need be..
Just a friendly reminder that lost a friend over a pull-out Radio!! RIP Rod..

Very well spoken. Stories like these are why we try so hard in classes to get through to people on what not to do but often it has to hit close to home (if not directly to them) before people "get it".

Sorry about your friend but good of you to share it with others.

I gave taken 3-1 and I walked away with few cuts to my hands and one bruised eye the others hospital but yes weapons is another ball game.

I personally carry because I rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it..... But in this case him chasing with gun is bad idea but me chasing and drop kick to the back of the head well is worth the risk chasing

Unless you get killed.

See post #20.

Glad you and your family, are ok, just keep the family safe. We all need to reflect on the different situations and how they come down and turn out.

Thankful, you are and your family are safe.

I look at it as a freebie as well. I have decided I will hunker down if the situation repeats. I will call 911. The cops are aware of this situation and are pretty active in our neighborhood so close. If I see them damaging property I will sound the car alarm. I am considering motion lights. I am not john Wayne nor chuck Norris and I am little good to my family dead or injured or in jail because of a car

I look at it as a freebie as well. I have decided I will hunker down if the situation repeats. I will call 911. The cops are aware of this situation and are pretty active in our neighborhood so close. If I see them damaging property I will sound the car alarm. I am considering motion lights. I am not john Wayne nor chuck Norris and I am little good to my family dead or injured or in jail because of a car

Motion lights are cheap and effective.
So is a DVR system to record them if they ignore the cameras.

Back
Top Bottom