• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Motherfu***r, just had my first negligent discharge in my office of all places....

Sounds like the little hook or lip of the extractor wasn't sent home hard enough to catch the rim of the cartridge. Next time let your wife clear it 😂

All seriousness, glad you and anyone around you was ok. Anyone who says they have never had a ND is either lying or not around firearms enough.

Accidents happen, but sometimes they are a necessary learning experience. Thank goodness no one was hurt. I have seen and heard of accidental discharges inside police departments and Sheriff Departments so it happens. Seen a few on firing ranges with some right beside feet. Sometimes we rush and get ahead of ourselves and forget our protocols . Forgetting safety for a nano second is all it takes. Good Luck. I am sure you will never do that again. Glad you brought it to our forum and owned it. It will help everyone.
$&&happens

The pistol was sitting in the drawer next to two empty clips. I pulled the rack back to make sure the chamber was clear. Nothing there. I must have missed the round about to be chambered. Thinking the weapon was empty I pulled the trigger to release the firing pin. I released it all right...

I know when I pulled the rack back it locked. I had to release it. I know at least one of the magazines was empty. The other? Maybe not so. Clearly the round came from somewhere. And I know I don't leave a chambered round - I don't have the experience or confidence to either carry or leave a firearm in that state.

My father told me once that one day I would have a ND …. He said as much as we handle firearms, as much as we shoot and tinker around with them cleaning them, wiping them down, pulling them out of the holster, putting them in, etc, etc, etc….that the odds were just against you. You are bound to have a negligent discharge !
Then he told me that is why you always try to keep a gun pointed in a safe direction no matter what.
No matter if you are alone, if you are with someone, if you are in the woods, in your bedroom or car….always always always keep it pointed in a safe direction !!
That was some 40 odd years ago when he told me that….and you know what ?? He is right !
About 20+ - years ago I shot a hole through my floor clearing a .45auto. IT HAPPENS !!
You just have to make sure you ALWAYS have one pointed in the safe direction no matter what !!
I am glad nobody got hurt in your ND S shootstraight78 - just have to mark it down as a learning experience and be thankful all turned out ok.
Be safe and carry on folks !! :)

Back
Top Bottom