• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Motherfu***r, just had my first negligent discharge in my office of all places....

I typically would NOT clear a weapon with the magazine in it, for this very reason. I DO press check my weapon every time I holster it...I know a lot of folk on here don't find it necessary (i.e., Why do you need to check it if? If there was a bullet in the chamber the last time you carried it, and you didn't fire it, it's still there!), but it's just part of my routine and it makes me more 'aware'.

You can't really call yourself a man if you haven't had a desk pop or 3.
My buddy shot a hole in his grandma’s ceiling when we were teenagers.it was blown ceiling.we just put spearmint gum to cover hole.i know it stayed there 20 years until she died.everytime I went to her house I would look at it.i know when she had it painted they just sprayed over it.

Okay, I don't need anyone calling me names or what not. I own this stupidity, and I never want it to happen again.

I want to know what I did wrong (other than being stupid). Wife is seriously pissed - as she should be. Just pile on some more. Anyway... the good news, no one is hurt. The bad news, I might need surgery to take a dump again.

I keep my .40 S&W in my desk drawer. It's been there for over a year. I work at the front of my house, so what good is a pistol all the way upstairs? All of the ammo is upstairs in the bedroom closet - or so I thought all of the ammo. Clearly for good reasons. I was cleaning out my middle desk drawer, had two empty magazines, was moving the pistol, so cleared the rack (or so I thought). Bang. Round passed through two CDs, two small manuals, out the bottom of the middle desk drawer and lodged in the base of the desk (solid oak thank God).

While I'm typing this, it occurs to me that when I see LEOs clearing pistols, they slide the rack multiple times. That might have avoided my mistake, and avoiding being careless with the trigger. "Always treat a firearm as if it's loaded" has become very ****ing real to me. To say I'm still shaking is to put it mildly.

Other than calling me a dumbass (just +1 the post), looking for technical and safety observations. I clearly allowed myself to get rusty, and it almost cost me. Posting for anyone else out there that this might help.
I always finger the chamber and mag well after I dropped the mag and racked the slide back several times. It’s A mental thing with me. Thank god no one died. I’ve been around 3 people who had a ND. Two got shot and (me almost got shot). It’s not a fun situation. Plus ear ringing afterwards.

well...you can also look at it this way...you were doing some things right...you had the gun pointed away!!!, so, while partly bad, some good was happening
I had a similar thing happen, only in my basement, while cleaning a Ruger 10-22....removed the magazine, and cleared the chamber, or so I thought....it didn't clear...and bang it went...so I think your right, and I also now do....RACK IT A FEW TIMES, then, if possible look....don't assume....

Back
Top Bottom