• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Motherfu***r, just had my first negligent discharge in my office of all places....

Suggestion:

1-- learn how to properly clear your weapon (and reload your weapon) comfortably and quickly.

2-- secondly, You need to address the issue of how to store your weapon-- because keeping an empty (or what you think is empty) pistol in the desk drawer when it's a self-defense gun is not tactically sound. And I don't even think it's a good idea to have a magazine loaded in place, but chamber empty.

ALTERNATE IDEA: if safe storage and preventing AD's by others is a concern,
I would suggest a lockbox that pops open either biometrically or following your entry of a short simple three or four digit code.

3-- My dad had a gun fire that he thought was empty, but was in fact loaded. But he was pointing it in a safe direction -- an electrical outlet at one corner of the kitchen wall. Was an easy repair.

4-- I had a gun fire outdoors at the end of a shooting session. A gun that I thought was empty. I had expected to hear a "click" when I heard a BANG!

I was pointing it in a semi-safe direction off to the side 45° angle with muzzle to the ground (soft sandy soil). But it wasn't a very safe direction because one of my shooting companions was standing nearby and the bullet made the dirt fly a couple feet away from his shoes.

5-- Unless a gun is going to be stored for years without being used I don't think it's necessary to release the firing pin spring I'm OK with leaving it cocked with an empty chamber and an empty magazine when the gun is put away for temporary storage that is only expected to last for weeks or months.

I don't believe that a properly made
gun spring will get significantly weaker by holding it in its normal state of compression. It's repeated cycles of compression and release that weaken metal coil springs.

6-- Repeatedly unloading a guns chamber and then later re-chambering that same round can cause a condition known as "bullet setback" where the bullet gets pushed back further into the case than it should go. This can cause feeding problems and reliability issues because of the bullet profile is different --the overall length is different.

It can also cause a dangerous increase in chamber pressures.

The ammo manufacturers say that once you extract a cartridge from a pistol's chamber you should not re-chamber it again, and should discard it.

(Or, if it passes visual inspection, set it aside for practice only. But that gets expensive and troublesome if you do that often. I'd rather just leave loaded guns fully loaded and lock them up out of reach if safety and safe storage is the issue.)

I had my ex- Leo (retired) friend almost shoot me by accident one day.
I won't mention any names lol
as he may read this, begged me not to say anything to his wife, shiat does happen when you forget about safety and don't point barrel down or in safe direction.

At least you had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. I was going hunting one morning and a buddy was screwing around with his Renegade muzzleloader and shot the front tire in my Scout. Luckily it was only a 8 mile walk to a phone booth to have someone bring us a lug wrench.

6-- Repeatedly unloading a guns chamber and then later re-chambering that same round can cause a condition known as "bullet setback" where the bullet gets pushed back further into the case than it should go. This can cause feeding problems and reliability issues because of the bullet profile is different --the overall length is different.

It can also cause a dangerous increase in chamber pressures.

The ammo manufacturers say that once you extract a cartridge from a pistol's chamber you should not re-chamber it again, and should discard it.

(Or, if it passes visual inspection, set it aside for practice only. But that gets expensive and troublesome if you do that often. I'd rather just leave loaded guns fully loaded and lock them up out of reach if safety and safe storage is the issue.)
I request that all hunters unload their weapons before getting out of their stand. And ask everyone every time if their gun is unloaded when I pick them up. Having loaded guns hauled around in and out vehicles and hunting camp is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm never without a gun and feel if you want to have a loaded gun keep it CC. I don't shoot a lot, but I shoot almost every day.... already shot twice today and still have a hour or 2 of checking property left.

For years, I refused to own a pistol that required pulling the trigger as part of the process of disassembly because I viewed it as an ND waiting to happen. Eventually I relented and now own a couple where pulling the trigger is a necessary step to take the slide off. And just like I was concerned about years ago, it did end up biting me.

A couple years ago, I was getting ready to go to the range with some friends. I was already running a little late and had decided at the last moment I wanted to run some rounds through my primary carry gun that day. I didn't want to put a loaded handgun in my range bag, so I was going to clear it first. Standing at the back door of my truck with the door open, I ejected the loaded mag, set it down on the seat, and then only needed to clear the live round from the chamber.

For whatever reason, I'm still not sure how, my mind went from clearing the live round to disassembly of the gun. I can't explain it and it confuses me to this day why I suddenly thought I needed to take it apart. So, pull slide back slightly, push tabs down on both sides, pull trigger to release slide. Only I never ejected the live round in the chamber. Still have some black specks of carbon or powder embedded in the edge of my left hand and a nice size hole in the door frame of my truck from a 147gr 9mm HP. I was very, very close to having put a round through my hand or a more important part of my truck.

In attempting to be safer, but in a hurry, I let myself be distracted and very narrowly avoided costing myself a lot pain and/or money.

Back
Top Bottom