• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I had an incident and I handled it wrong.

Yes three men not knowing if they had guns, they're hiding and you are in the open. Not a fair gun battle for you. Protect your family and yourself first stuff is stuff. Make sure your wife knows how to shoot as well. Develop a family emergency plan of action and protocol (especially if you're not home) with a safe room that can be barricaded effectively and involve your police friend for tips. Make sure there is another gun and a back up phone stashed in the safe room if for some reason the primary weapon or phone is not available and the safe room must be immediately accessed for protection. Communication with emergency services is as important as a gun for protection.
Good Luck

Yes three men not knowing if they had guns, they're hiding and you are in the open. Not a fair gun battle for you. Protect your family and yourself first stuff is stuff. Make sure your wife knows how to shoot as well. Develop a family emergency plan of action and protocol (especially if you're not home) with a safe room that can be barricaded effectively and involve your police friend for tips. Make sure there is another gun and a back up phone stashed in the safe room if for some reason the primary weapon or phone is not available and the safe room must be immediately accessed for protection. Communication with emergency services is as important as a gun for protection.
Good Luck

sound advice

I gave taken 3-1 and I walked away with few cuts to my hands and one bruised eye the others hospital but yes weapons is another ball game.

I personally carry because I rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it..... But in this case him chasing with gun is bad idea but me chasing and drop kick to the back of the head well is worth the risk chasing

This is a great learning experience. Please do not listen to something like this. I don't care how much training you have, chasing after a group of men to "drop kick them in the back of the head" is foolish. Never overestimate yourself and underestimate your enemy. Be smart, be safe, protect your family. Thanks for sharing.

Since they were a fair distance away, maybe next time a nice long-range rifle and decent scope with night-vision? Why bother leaving the house?
I also have several non-lethal options I can (and have used). I have a nice airsoft arsenal with very accurate long-range sniper 'rifles' available. Since I blew out a knee and can't run so well any more, I've gone the route of the sniper. My (personal) sniper rifle shoots at 550 FPS mussel velocity using 6MM .35 gram rounds (standard BB's are .2 grams). The additional weight gives it better range and accuracy, and even though it is bolt action, I can squeeze enough shots to get their attention... and if they return fire, well... then I switch to my 5.56 M4 :D and claim self-defense.
Anyway, no one comes near the house with 3 BIG and LOUD dogs inside.

Just to throw out some thoughts having two different perspectives (investigating noises and investigating car thiefs).

Take the opportunity to talk with your wife. Keeping the alarm on and a door locked between you and the threat is good.

Investigate via a dark window.

Grab a long gun
Sit back and call the police, it's their job to confront and apprehend these guys.. not yours.

Besides most cops I know love a good foot chase with some morons.

Be safe and think safety. You guys had an excellent albeit scary learning experience. Don't let that go to waste.

Good job on doing an AAR of your actions. I promise you next time many of the right choices will be made without thinking about it.

I dealt with a similar issue once. After evaluating my actions I determined I will NOT leave my house while my loved ones are inside. My ONLY care and concern is the safety of MY family.

Back
Top Bottom