• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I had an incident and I handled it wrong.

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I guess this is the place.

Last night I was lying in bed with my kid on my chest asleep. I hear my wife who was watching tv up front call for me and then hear the alarm being disarmed. When I heard the alarm I returned to the bedroom to grab a pistol. When I heard her call I didn't know if it was a roach or a gunman. I ask her what and she says there is a guy at her car and two more in the neighbors yard. We have had nightly break ins of unlocked cars in a 1/4 radius and they were checking ours. Of course the wifes was locked and there is nothing in my Jeep I wouldnt give you so to safe my soft top it stays unlocked.

I proceed outside telling my wife to call 911 to see three men standing 100 yards down the road. I take off toward them and they scatter like roaches across my neighbors corner lot into a church and into the darkness. I returned home and filed a report the cop is a friend of mine and found the story entertaining. They had just driven by 5 mins prior and the guys were probably hiding.

I then realize here I am a 37 5'7" 140lb male barefooted in boxers and a t shirt and a Glock 19. Looking back I wish I had grabbed my running shoes instead of my pistol. As I'm running across the lot I realize that I can do nothing. I have no place to holster my gun if I were to tackle the guy or guys. I can't drop it and certainly at this point can't shoot them.

Once I got home while glued to the window I began to think about everything that went wrong.
1. I grabbed my 19 Im far to dependent on my firearm. There are other things I should have grabbed.
2. Chasing someone barefooted I assume is like recoil and noise in the heat of the moment it wasnt an issue.
3. I should have grabbed my pants. I would have had phone, flashlight,id, oc, knife, holster etc. I would have had more choices.
4. I should not have chased three men. There is nothing outside my house that is worth me shooting someone over. I am no match against three young thugs.
5. I should have called 911 and stalked them in the darkness and hopefully helped capture them.

I did answer the question if I had to use a handgun which would I choose. Glock 19.

you should have kept yourself in your house with your family.Let the police handle it and if they come back light the ****ers up.Drag em in the house then back in the yard,good blood trail

Glad all worked out OK.

You did the right thing by grabbing your gun since you did not know what the threat was. Going outside at all could have escalated the issue and then required lethal response. Number 5 did not work out real good for George Zimmerman.

Just me, but if I have to confront a car thief then I am letting it go. That's why I pay State Farm a premium. I have 4 kids to raise as a single dad and I am not about to jeopardize their future (or mine) over anything in my vehicle. I would call the cops, turn on the lights, and have my SIG ready if they were drugged/drunk/dumb enough to try and enter my home. But I'm not chasing anyone in the dark unless they physically harmed my family. I'm 46 and would probably have reacted differently 15 years ago. Glad your incident turned out ok and hope the punks experience a painful lesson in the near future.

Good to read the "hind sight" breakdown, it is definitely the right things to do, although I am certainly guilty of busting out the door with 5.7 and a light to inspect when I should be identifying the threat, calling 911, and gathering chillrens to a safe place...

You will likely accomplish more with stealth than reckless abandon and throwing caution to the wind. The only incident I've have ever had on my property, I armed myself with my 19 and spare mag, slid very quietly out the back, side door and through the darkness to the front corner of the house where I observed everything [from the darkness] in case I needed to make an adjustment in my plan. Fortunately, it ended up being an opossum making racket in my dog's swimming pool.

Pursuing a threat never leaves a good taste in any prosecutors mouth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom