• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High priced Guns & Cheap scopes?

Common sense always gets lost when the elites start talking about " quality glass ." No one has a reason to question your expert knowledge on the subject. Not many people are going to piss over $ 1000 dollars on a scope because they have no need for it when they shoot under 200 yards and are not pretending / trying to be a world class competitive shooter. If you have 20/20 vision with or without contacts or glasses then any scope with clear glass that holds zero will work for you.

Common sense always gets lost when the elites start talking about " quality glass ." No one has a reason to question your expert knowledge on the subject. Not many people are going to piss over $ 1000 dollars on a scope because they have no need for it when they shoot under 200 yards and are not pretending / trying to be a world class competitive shooter. If you have 20/20 vision with or without contacts or glasses then any scope with clear glass that holds zero will work for you.

What is “clear glass”? That must be a subjective term, because no sub-$1500 MSRP scope I have ever had on the range had “clear glass” to me.

A more expensive scope Nightforce will hold zero more reliably than a Barska, or a Leupold Mark4.

How do you know your scope will hold zero? You don’t, until it doesn’t. You can go to the range a dozen times, and it holds zero. Then, when you actually need to use it in the field, it ain’t zeroed anymore. More expensive name brands tend to hold zero better than cheaper brands.

it’s not just a matter of how far you’re shooting. I covered this pretty well back in post #32 already, but here it is again:

“It’s not just a question of how far you shoot. There are many other factors.

How good is the glass/coatings? I’ve been on hunts where I could make shots much earlier in the morning, and stay out later at the end of the day, because my “better” scope transmitted light better. That means I could see better in lower light. I’m still in the stand hunting while others have tapped out due to lack of visibility through their scope.

*TIP: Lowering the magnification on your scope opens the exit pupil, and lets more light through. If you can’t see very well at 9x due to lack of light, try dialing your power down. That should brighten things up a bit.

I’ve seen folks with cheap scopes miss a shot because their scope failed to hold zero.

I’ve seen folks miss a shot because the adjustments in their scope weren’t what was stated, or what they had been when tested at the range previously.

I‘ve seen cheap scopes get condensation inside the lenses.

I’ve seen a cheap scope that got hot due to direct sunlight. The heat liquified the grease used to lubricate the seals inside the scope. When the dude fired, the liquified grease spattered all over the lenses on the INSIDE of the scope. Yes, the scope was usable, but it had the appearance of water drops all over the lenses, which definitely effected HOW usable it was.

Added to the issues that may crop up with cheap scopes is the fact that folks that use cheap scopes tend to use cheap mounting systems. I could write a book about the issues I’ve seen with cheap rings and mounts.

Folks that buy cheap scopes and mounts will usually mount all that up by themselves. I’ve seen a lot of issues caused by improper mounting; overtorquing, undertorquing, crushing/twisting/bending the scope body so that it impinged on the parts inside the scope and kept them from moving properly, improper eye relief which leads to a degradation in accuracy, canted reticles which make it difficult to zero and adjust the optic, and much more.”

JFC…you don’t have to be a world class shooter to appreciate a dependable scope. Just to stay competitive at a local match you need a quality scope that’s repeatable, reliable, and clear. It’s not an opinion it’s a fact.

I Watched guys at several matches scopes fail. You’re not winning any match or shooting any deer with a failed scope. Don’t care how good of a shot you are.

Well since they’re cheap and peasant scopes I’ll buy all the weaver T36’s and Japanese Tasco 24x’s that may ruin yalls screet cred or be another layer in the onion of excuses why your rifle shoots like chit.

Well since they’re cheap and peasant scopes I’ll buy all the weaver T36’s and Japanese Tasco 24x’s that may ruin yalls screet cred or be another layer in the onion of excuses why your rifle shoots like chit.

Those have a proven track record from BR. And those guys would even go as far as freezing their reticle to ensure 100% reliability. They don’t have the features needed in todays style of shooting to keep up anymore.

They were indeed proven and made famous by BR guys, no doubt.

They still sell on accurate shooter for like $300-$400.

You are so wrong in so many ways.

only the Leupolds needed to be frozen cause the bs little leaf spring in the erector would give up anywhere from 3-1500 rounds and you never knew when so folks would freeze em put on an adjustable base and be done. I still compete with T36’s they have won and lost in br matches against optics that cost more than my rifle. Minimum optics cost depends on the shooter and style of shooting I believe. I do agree that there are tons of folks with optics that are above their skill level judging by the drool, boogers and cheap mounts/bases I’ve seen on and under “good glass”.

only the Leupolds needed to be frozen cause the bs little leaf spring in the erector would give up anywhere from 3-1500 rounds and you never knew when so folks would freeze em put on an adjustable base and be done. I still compete with T36’s they have won and lost in br matches against optics that cost more than my rifle. Minimum optics cost depends on the shooter and style of shooting I believe. I do agree that there are tons of folks with optics that are above their skill level judging by the drool, boogers and cheap mounts/bases I’ve seen on and under “good glass”.

Nice, what do you shoot for BR?

Back
Top Bottom