• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High priced Guns & Cheap scopes?

The “experts” opinion is that the scope installed to cost about half of what the rifle cost.
my favorite rig was a Remington 742 30-06 with a redfield 3-9x40 wide angle specific to that era.
with scopes, usually the rule of thumb is that you get what you paid for.
a $3200 scope ? In my opinion that scope should be able to drag, skin, gut, and even process the deer for that money 😀
Only fudds relate everything rifle related to hunting

Cheap, expensive, poor quality, high quality, meh ........ after 32 years of mounting, remounting, correcting, mansplaining scopes to new and old shooters I'm convinced that 99% of scope users have no idea of the X - Y axis and/or subtension values of the reticle patterns of their scopes, why that matters or how to use them when ranging, holding over or holding into wind. Maybe 99.5% of new shooters.

This is the look I get from folks while I try to explain what they did wrong, what the Bass Pro or Cabelas expert did wrong when mounting the scope, and also when I ask them if they read the user's guide or have any knowledge of the reticle pattern and how it should be utilized when shooting.
glazed and confused look.gif

The staggering majority of (non competitive) shooters (I'm convinced) simply use a scope as a magnified aiming point for their snapper raffles.

I don't mean this in a condescending way either, it's just an observation. For most, spending $2-$5k on a scope would be a complete waste of money.

Cheap, expensive, poor quality, high quality, meh ........ after 32 years of mounting, remounting, correcting, mansplaining scopes to new and old shooters I'm convinced that 99% of scope users have no idea of the X - Y axis and/or subtension values of the reticle patterns of their scopes, why that matters or how to use them when ranging, holding over or holding into wind. Maybe 99.5% of new shooters.

This is the look I get from folks while I try to explain what they did wrong, what the Bass Pro or Cabelas expert did wrong when mounting the scope, and also when I ask them if they read the user's guide or have any knowledge of the reticle pattern and how it should be utilized when shooting.
View attachment 5606441

The staggering majority of (non competitive) shooters (I'm convinced) simply use a scope as a magnified aiming point for their snapper raffles.

I don't mean this in a condescending way either, it's just an observation. For most, spending $2-$5k on a scope would be a complete waste of money.

Yes, explain to a new shooter that a scopes unit of measure isn’t in inches and watch their brains leak out of their ears. It’s even worse with the “been using luepold for thurdy years” crowd.

I have no issue explaining and showing it to them, but when your best friend of 22 years who’s a ****ing doctor tells you you’re wrong and he’s sticking to inches, it takes a lot to not punch them square in the mouth. Lol

That Monroe county education…boy I tell you wut.

I used Leopolds for years and got a deal on the zeiss i currently have on both deer rifles,they are fantastic for hunting.I thought the leupolds were outstanding until I looked and used the zeiss same as binos.i use swarovski binos now and used leupold s for years.there is a hell of a lot of difference in the 2 in hunting situations.I take deer hunting to serious properly.I’m not a competitive shooter im sure my set ups would not work For it.

What’s wrong with those? Lol

I have 3 PA optics. They are great.

As I look over my inventory of stuff, I have some cheap red dots on a couple of the 22 plinkers, a bunch of prism sights for the 'tactical' guns, and IER/LER scopes on the scouts. All of the glass is the $300-$800 range from reputable manufacturers (although many of them are made of chinesium, I'm led to believe that the US 'manufacturers' have good QC in place for them)

Does this make me a poor? Asking for a friend.

As I look over my inventory of stuff, I have some cheap red dots on a couple of the 22 plinkers, a bunch of prism sights for the 'tactical' guns, and IER/LER scopes on the scouts. All of the glass is the $300-$800 range from reputable manufacturers (although many of them are made of chinesium, I'm led to believe that the US 'manufacturers' have good QC in place for them)

Does this make me a poor? Asking for a friend.

Yes, stop being a poor. Lol

BTW I need your help in a Chinese thread in the political discussion. Lol

Back
Top Bottom