• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Camping scare stories.

Oh I had an alien encounter....walmart in oakwood!! She went about 350lb and look like somethin you hunt
Before my mama died, she used to get me to come pick her up at my sister's house and driver her down to Walmart every couple of weeks to get her necessaries. Had to drive down to Canton then because Jasper didn't have one yet so it was a good drive and she liked to sit in the truck and talk and stuff and nod off on the way back home.

Once, we walked into the Walmart and I took a look at four electric carts all lined up near the entrance and started laughing uncontrollably. The little seats were all torn to crap.... she asked why I was laughing and inside we spied one of those 350 lb aliens straddling that little seat supporting only about 10% of the rear end and that's when I told her, "That's why!"

Before my mama died, she used to get me to come pick her up at my sister's house and driver her down to Walmart every couple of weeks to get her necessaries. Had to drive down to Canton then because Jasper didn't have one yet so it was a good drive and she liked to sit in the truck and talk and stuff and nod off on the way back home.

Once, we walked into the Walmart and I took a look at four electric carts all lined up near the entrance and started laughing uncontrollably. The little seats were all torn to crap.... she asked why I was laughing and inside we spied one of those 350 lb aliens straddling that little seat supporting only about 10% of the rear end and that's when I told her, "That's why!"
I‘ve been noticing that both store scooters and hospital wheelchair seats are about 1 1/2 times wider than they used to be. Got to know your clientele.
My daughter who is in the medical field, says morbid obesity is slowing and will soon be reversing the trend of longer lifespans.

I had an encounter one night (don't remember the exact year but around 2007 or 2008 I think it was) in the Nantahala National Forest in western NC. I don't want to give the exact location further than that. But, believe me when I say I was in the middle of nowhere camping. I saw or heard no one. I was back in about as far as one could get. I loved it. At night it is so dark you can't even see your hand right in front of your face. Everything gets quite at night to the point if something moves you hear it loud and clear.
Anyway, I was on night four of a five day camping trip. My food was hung high in a tree about 30 yards from my tent. My campfire was barely burning. I went to bed in the tent shortly after dark. All was quite and peaceful. I was enjoying the tranquility. But, for whatever reason I couldn't go to sleep. I just laid there for several hours. Until, I heard something. Keep in mind I've been in the woods my whole life hunting, fishing, and camping. But, something was coming right to my tent. My heart started to race. I could hear ground noises ..leaves rustling a small stick breaking...and footsteps...faint but getting a little louder...a little closer. Whatever this was came off the mountain behind me and my tent toward camp. My heart racing faster and faster. Whatever this was walked halfway around my tent. My hand eased onto my only gun I had at the time ( a Glock G27). I heard a "non-human" breathing. This was getting all to real. I laid back flat on my back with my Glock at a low belly ready stance...pointed at the front of my tent.
At this point I fully expected whatever this was to walk on into the camp...the food area...but no. It stopped. Paused. My heart was about to explode. Then, something with warp speed pushes / slaps my tent inward about three feet straight towards me. This happened so fast that as soon as tent got to the point of popping inward...it popped back outward. As this happened whatever hit the tent ran right back the way it came in and in stopped in the thick stuff at the bottom of the mountain behind me and my tent. My heart just about jumped out of my chest! I quickly grabbed my light. Gun in one hand light in the other. I didn't move for awhile. Awhile being like twenty minutes...I was scared at this point I'm not gonna lie. I was scared because of what had happened and I was scared because whatever stopped was still there watching me, I could feel it.
Finally, I got enough courage to open ...very slowly the rear tent window..I couldn't see / hear nothing. I thought well might as well shine my surefire light out of the little window to see if I could see what this was. When I did...I SAW TWO EYES....! They looked like big glowing red eyes! This lasted for about five seconds. Whatever it was starting now loudly going back up the mountain. I didn't sleep all night. The next morning..gun in hand I looked for clues. No foot prints. No food or trash messed with. I can't explain it. My only guess is maybe a bear. Maybe a mountain lion. Maybe a........... (You fill in the blank). Whatever it was scared the piss out of me I know that. I've never had anything like that happen before or after. I've seen and heard all kind of the animals in TN/NC/ and GA at day and night..I've seen "animal eyes in the dark from all kinds of native animals glowing green or orange." But not like this. I didn't even know if I would believe it until it happened to me. Anyway, y'all stay safe and be mindful of two red glowing eyes...for real.

I had an encounter one night (don't remember the exact year but around 2007 or 2008 I think it was) in the Nantahala National Forest in western NC. I don't want to give the exact location further than that. But, believe me when I say I was in the middle of nowhere camping. I saw or heard no one. I was back in about as far as one could get. I loved it. At night it is so dark you can't even see your hand right in front of your face. Everything gets quite at night to the point if something moves you hear it loud and clear.
Anyway, I was on night four of a five day camping trip. My food was hung high in a tree about 30 yards from my tent. My campfire was barely burning. I went to bed in the tent shortly after dark. All was quite and peaceful. I was enjoying the tranquility. But, for whatever reason I couldn't go to sleep. I just laid there for several hours. Until, I heard something. Keep in mind I've been in the woods my whole life hunting, fishing, and camping. But, something was coming right to my tent. My heart started to race. I could hear ground noises ..leaves rustling a small stick breaking...and footsteps...faint but getting a little louder...a little closer. Whatever this was came off the mountain behind me and my tent toward camp. My heart racing faster and faster. Whatever this was walked halfway around my tent. My hand eased onto my only gun I had at the time ( a Glock G27). I heard a "non-human" breathing. This was getting all to real. I laid back flat on my back with my Glock at a low belly ready stance...pointed at the front of my tent.
At this point I fully expected whatever this was to walk on into the camp...the food area...but no. It stopped. Paused. My heart was about to explode. Then, something with warp speed pushes / slaps my tent inward about three feet straight towards me. This happened so fast that as soon as tent got to the point of popping inward...it popped back outward. As this happened whatever hit the tent ran right back the way it came in and in stopped in the thick stuff at the bottom of the mountain behind me and my tent. My heart just about jumped out of my chest! I quickly grabbed my light. Gun in one hand light in the other. I didn't move for awhile. Awhile being like twenty minutes...I was scared at this point I'm not gonna lie. I was scared because of what had happened and I was scared because whatever stopped was still there watching me, I could feel it.
Finally, I got enough courage to open ...very slowly the rear tent window..I couldn't see / hear nothing. I thought well might as well shine my surefire light out of the little window to see if I could see what this was. When I did...I SAW TWO EYES....! They looked like big glowing red eyes! This lasted for about five seconds. Whatever it was starting now loudly going back up the mountain. I didn't sleep all night. The next morning..gun in hand I looked for clues. No foot prints. No food or trash messed with. I can't explain it. My only guess is maybe a bear. Maybe a mountain lion. Maybe a........... (You fill in the blank). Whatever it was scared the piss out of me I know that. I've never had anything like that happen before or after. I've seen and heard all kind of the animals in TN/NC/ and GA at day and night..I've seen "animal eyes in the dark from all kinds of native animals glowing green or orange." But not like this. I didn't even know if I would believe it until it happened to me. Anyway, y'all stay safe and be mindful of two red glowing eyes...for real.

i would have been setting in a puddle of piss with a bubble of snot running down my nose.

Not a camping story, but maybe still applies.

When I was a teenager (1980s) we lived in rural Jones County. The last house on the dirt road, although the dirt road kept on going for miles. One morning my mother asked me to run down the driveway and get the newspaper. It was about 6:00 am, still dark.

I opened the door and SOMETHING screamed/snarled/howled. Before my mind could register "what the heck was THAT?" I was back inside with the door locked and the night latch on. I have no conscious memory of telling my body to do that - instinct took over.

That night my father said it was probably the panther that he had seen hunting many times but never got a shot at. He figured it was probably at the edge of the woods and I startled it. Startled IT?!

He said that a panther's screech sounds "like a cross between a woman screaming and a baby crying". I don't know about that, but what I heard that morning was like nothing I've ever heard, before or since. And I'm OK with not hearing it again.

Mom got her paper AFTER daylight.

I used to go with my uncle to his hunting property in Jones County when I was a kid. This would of been around 1985. We were heading down the road around 10:00 pm when I saw what I can only describe as a ball of fire traveling along side of us. It was bright enough to light up the entire area. I asked him what is that? He replied "I dont know but we aint stopping". He floored the old blazer and it kept right up with us for a ways then just vanished. It was around three foot in diameter and I have no idea what it was. I dont know what road we were on but it was very rural back then. I have got another story that I may post later that is still happening almost weekly.

Back
Top Bottom