• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Open Carry?

I carry IWB and OWB, but never open. High ride, open top holsters are a great invention. I see no reason to open carry now that I've left Alaska. I open carried there constantly, a Desert Eagle 50 or Smith 629 as a matter of fact. The woodland creatures never asked questions though. Admittedly, the only thing stateside I pulled a gun on in recent memory, was a hungry brown bear. Thankfully, he was in the mood for my salmon as opposed to my lower body. Afghanistan was a little different. :)

Just for the record, thought I'd point out one little known exception in GA carry laws. Pertains to both OC and CC of course, so at least halfway pertinent.

Yes, you need a permit to OC (or CC)...unless...you're a member of the military. There's a whole list, actually, of exempted people...cops, judges, etc. Don't recall the whole list, as I'm interested mostly in the part that says carry laws don't apply to federal or state military members.

It's ga code 16-11-130

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=130

Yes, that means National Guard and active duty. I've been carrying open and concealed in GA on my military ID for almost 3 years now with no issues at all.

Just FYI.

District Attorneys are on that list. DA's and Judges can also carry in a courthouse if I'm not mistaken.
You'd be correct sir. They are issued a badge and a gun when sworn in so it'd seem silly if they couldn't carry. Although I have always thought that officers and personnel in a courthouse or govt. type bldg with prisoners in it, could be a mistake. I've been in other locales where no one including police are allowed to carry. It keeps instances of cases like Brian Nichols from happening.

You'd be correct sir. They are issued a badge and a gun when sworn in so it'd seem silly if they couldn't carry. Although I have always thought that officers and personnel in a courthouse or govt. type bldg with prisoners in it, could be a mistake. I've been in other locales where no one including police are allowed to carry. It keeps instances of cases like Brian Nichols from happening.
:pop2:

well, you were clearly there all 4 times in atlanta when i felt threatened enough to defend myself by using threat of force. ive only pointed it one person though

and you sound like a chairborne ranger to me, just sayin

lol
I aint heard that in a long time.

Yeah I open carried one time because I didn't feel like carrying IWB and It caught the attention of a LEO so it's concealed for now on for me. Out of sight out of mind

Yeah I open carried one time because I didn't feel like carrying IWB and It caught the attention of a LEO so it's concealed for now on for me. Out of sight out of mind

This sounds like a traumatic experience. Do you have any more details of the situation that caused you to voluntarily give up your right right to openly carry a handgun?

I OC and CC depending on where I am and what I am doing. I do not have a GWL. I am exempt under O.C.G.A. 16-11-130. GA born and raised. I try not to set a bad example for lawful gun owners like myself. Legal or not. Some people get the wrong connotation of our intentions regardless of the law and I respect our freedom and ability to carry how we please at the time being. Carry how you want but be mindful we are at war with those who wish to disarm us. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom