• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Open Carry?

You're more likely to get into a car accident on your way to the mall where you're going to open carry than you are to have your gun stolen from you while openly carrying at the mall. That doesn't stop you from driving to the mall in the first place, does it?

You're more likely to get into a car accident on your way to the mall where you're going to open carry than you are to have your gun stolen from you while openly carrying at the mall. That doesn't stop you from driving to the mall in the first place, does it?

where did you pull that statistic out?

i mean, you are more likely to get in a wreck im sure, but does that mean you should not wear a seat belt or stick your head out the window ace ventura style?

if you conceal, then even the smallest possibility of getting it lifted off ya is greatly reduced. just saying, do what ya want, but i mean even though its as likely as getting struck by lightning, why increase that risk?

Ok, you got me...I just made that statistic up. It's supported only by anecdotal evidence and my own personal experience.

What I do know is that in the years that this discussion has been going on all over the web, across many different sites, there hasn't been more than 2 or 3 stories that I've seen of an open carrier getting targeted first in a robbery or an open carrier getting their gun stolen from them. Yes, it happens, but how often? Based on what I've seen, it happens infrequently enough that it shouldn't affect your day to day decision to carry. Factors such as comfort, situational awareness, training, etc should have a much greater influence over how you carry than the possibility of having your gun stolen.

And I know OC opponents like to poo-poo this idea, but it DOES serve as a deterrent to crime. Just as there are few examples of OCers having their guns stolen, I can think of only one verified news story of OC being a deterrent, but in the years that I've been having this discussion, I've seen far more stories of OCers feeling their weapons served as a passive deterrent than the other horror stories of OC. Shady characters turning the other way when they see a gun, getting approached in a parking lot and then the guy turns around, someone enters a store and exits immediately upon seeing an OCer, etc.

On the balance, I just don't see it as a great enough risk when all factors are considered.

Do you have a link to statistics that back this up? Otherwise I could say that it's also more likely that you'll get into a car wreck on your way to the gun store than it is that you'll ever actually use the gun you buy for self defense, so by your logic why should anyone take that risk to even buy a firearm?

See my above post.

As for your scenario, you're likely right. That's kinda my point...you're far more likely to get into an accident than you are to either have your openly carried gun stolen of to have to use your gun in self defense...but that doesn't stop us from driving. So you have something that's less likely than getting in a car wreck...why are you scared of having the gun stolen but not getting in a wreck?

Some of the parallels that you guys draw are kind of funny. How is saying that you're more likely to be in a car accident than have your gun stolen (that is what he really said) equate to it being more likely to be in a car wreck on the way to the gun store than to every use the gun so you shouldn't buy a gun?

In point of fact every time you are on the road you have a chance of being in a car wreck and it requires zero ill intent of any other driver ... on the other hand the need arising for you to have to use your gun actually requires the specific ill intent of someone else.

Do you have a link to statistics that back this up? Otherwise I could say that it's also more likely that you'll get into a car wreck on your way to the gun store than it is that you'll ever actually use the gun you buy for self defense, so by your logic why should anyone take that risk to even buy a firearm?

I like these threads. I also like watching people watching people who open carry. Personally, I pocket carry. Easier to use the can in public. You'd be surprised at the number of people that stare at my pocket. As for scum that approaches me, maybe it's my sparkling personality when people bother me that makes them leave me alone, or maybe they think I am being passive when I put my hand in my pocket. :D

Last edited:
I hate to object, or be the black fly in the ointment but open carry is legal in Georgia WITHOUT a probate issued permit IN YOUR VEHICLE. It may be frowned upon by the more urban areas, but OCGA allows for open carry and carrying loaded in the dash (glovebox) and center console of your vehicle without permit. I have spoken with my State Senator and understand there is strong momentum for doing away with the carry permit in Georgia, taking a more Constitutional stand.

A simple trip to the probate court for now clears the air of legality, but the debate of how to carry continues.

Last edited:
I usually avoid tirades on here, but I think I'm going to let a small one fly...

Would you walk around in a t shirt that said "Criminals, shoot me first, I am armed and will resist."? because you might as well. Open carry gives your opponent a HUGE tactical advantage. Why would you give that up? I know some of you are going to say it's a deterrent, but you shouldn't think you'll never be a target because you open carry. Situational awareness should be your primary deterrent. If you find yourself in a situation where you have to draw consider it a failure of your powers of observation.

You can't outdraw a gun pointed at you, and if you open carry you're making sure the bad guy will have his gun pointed right at you. I'll give up the extra 1/2 second on my draw because I have to sweep a jacket or hike up a shirt in exchange for the opportunity to get to draw because I don't appear to be as great a threat as someone or something else.

A friend of mine that is retired SF due to combat injuries put it best. He said "Any good gunfighter has won before the other guy even knows there's going to be a gunfight. That's why I like AC130s on the battlefield and concealed carry on the street."

If you want to say "Exercising my Constitutional rights..." go ahead, but you're not helping the cause by giving the opposing viewpoint an example to point at and shake in their shoes.

If you think it gives you cool points, grow up. I carry a gun for the same reason I carry insurance. Just in case I ever need it.

Ok, I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom