• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Open Carry?

Some of the parallels that you guys draw are kind of funny. How is saying that you're more likely to be in a car accident than have your gun stolen (that is what he really said) equate to it being more likely to be in a car wreck on the way to the gun store than to every use the gun so you shouldn't buy a gun?

In point of fact every time you are on the road you have a chance of being in a car wreck and it requires zero ill intent of any other driver ... on the other hand the need arising for you to have to use your gun actually requires the specific ill intent of someone else.

What does ill intent have to do with anything? I don't care about someone with ill intent, I care about my or my loved ones actually getting hurt/killed. If someone with ill intent flips me off and keeps walking, that's certainly more preferable than someone without ill intent accidentally running my over with their car. I find it humorous that you knock someone else's argument and then put forth this statement.

I usually avoid tirades on here, but I think I'm going to let a small one fly...

Would you walk around in a t shirt that said "Criminals, shoot me first, I am armed and will resist."? because you might as well. Open carry gives your opponent a HUGE tactical advantage. Why would you give that up? I know some of you are going to say it's a deterrent, but you shouldn't think you'll never be a target because you open carry. Situational awareness should be your primary deterrent. If you find yourself in a situation where you have to draw consider it a failure of your powers of observation.

You can't outdraw a gun pointed at you, and if you open carry you're making sure the bad guy will have his gun pointed right at you. I'll give up the extra 1/2 second on my draw because I have to sweep a jacket or hike up a shirt in exchange for the opportunity to get to draw because I don't appear to be as great a threat as someone or something else.

A friend of mine that is retired SF due to combat injuries put it best. He said "Any good gunfighter has won before the other guy even knows there's going to be a gunfight. That's why I like AC130s on the battlefield and concealed carry on the street."

If you want to say "Exercising my Constitutional rights..." go ahead, but you're not helping the cause by giving the opposing viewpoint an example to point at and shake in their shoes.

If you think it gives you cool points, grow up. I carry a gun for the same reason I carry insurance. Just in case I ever need it.

Ok, I'm done.

I respect your opinion, but could you describe your training, other than a "friends" experiences. I spent the bulk of my adult life in law enforcement, and training, both civilian and military. Concealed carry has its place and if that's how you choose to carry... Go for it. The school of thought is as diverse as "wheel gun vs. auto loader". Concern over being shot first is negated as you said by situational awareness, but you have a bit of an air of condescending in those who open carry?

I have had to draw a firearm in the gravest of extremes. Have you? This is not to insult, nor belittle you and I hope I can explain where I am coming from. You express opposition to a sound, legal form of carry that has been validated by instructors for decades by both sound tactics, and documented incidents.

Departmental policy dictated concealed carry when I worked at a local sheriffs office, but open carry was favored at a different agency. Excusing away with "tactical advantage" by people and to people who truly have never TRAINED for any tactics is like complaining about how bad one plays piano without ever taking a lesson. Again, I respect you approach, heck... I think it's healthy to debate ones feelings. But, to present that a method of carry is in someway wrong by saying it invites the criminals to shoot them first is quite honestly obtuse (unless your stack of certs, service, and training trump mine). ;)

A constitutional carry state would be somewhere truly proud to live. There are so few of them.

I hate to object, or be the black fly in the ointment but open carry is legal in Georgia WITHOUT a probate issued permit. It may be frowned upon by the more urban areas, but OCGA allows for open carry and carrying loaded in the dash (glovebox) and center console of your vehicle without permit. I have spoken with my State Senator and understand there is strong momentum for doing away with the carry permit in Georgia, taking a more Constitutional stand.

A constitutional carry state would be somewhere truly proud to live. There are so few of them.

The Constitutional Carry Act of 2012 unfortunately fell on the alter of Statehouse politics. On my last visit this year, I was assured by several house and senate members who are going to aggressively push for a constitutional based carry law.

Ok, you got me...I just made that statistic up. It's supported only by anecdotal evidence and my own personal experience.

What I do know is that in the years that this discussion has been going on all over the web, across many different sites, there hasn't been more than 2 or 3 stories that I've seen of an open carrier getting targeted first in a robbery or an open carrier getting their gun stolen from them. Yes, it happens, but how often? Based on what I've seen, it happens infrequently enough that it shouldn't affect your day to day decision to carry. Factors such as comfort, situational awareness, training, etc should have a much greater influence over how you carry than the possibility of having your gun stolen.

And I know OC opponents like to poo-poo this idea, but it DOES serve as a deterrent to crime. Just as there are few examples of OCers having their guns stolen, I can think of only one verified news story of OC being a deterrent, but in the years that I've been having this discussion, I've seen far more stories of OCers feeling their weapons served as a passive deterrent than the other horror stories of OC. Shady characters turning the other way when they see a gun, getting approached in a parking lot and then the guy turns around, someone enters a store and exits immediately upon seeing an OCer, etc.

On the balance, I just don't see it as a great enough risk when all factors are considered.
so a crime is deterred based on an open carriers perception of what he considers to be a sketchy person, observing a weapon, and then leaving becaus otherwise they would have committed a crime? i dont see that. doesnt make sense to me, hell most criminals wont commit a crime if there are even more than one or two witness's or people around

this idea here is really baseless conjecture
I've seen far more stories of OCers feeling their weapons served as a passive deterrent than the other horror stories of OC. Shady characters turning the other way when they see a gun, getting approached in a parking lot and then the guy turns around, someone enters a store and exits immediately upon seeing an OCer, etc.

again, feel free to open carry if you want. i have done it before. but i would think it to be a wiser and safer decision to not show anyone you are armed. it gives you a clear advantage

I respect your opinion, but could you describe your training, other than a "friends" experiences. I spent the bulk of my adult life in law enforcement, and training, both civilian and military. Concealed carry has its place and if that's how you choose to carry... Go for it. The school of thought is as diverse as "wheel gun vs. auto loader". Concern over being shot first is negated as you said by situational awareness, but you have a bit of an air of condescending in those who open carry?

I have had to draw a firearm in the gravest of extremes. Have you? This is not to insult, nor belittle you and I hope I can explain where I am coming from. You express opposition to a sound, legal form of carry that has been validated by instructors for decades by both sound tactics, and documented incidents.

Departmental policy dictated concealed carry when I worked at a local sheriffs office, but open carry was favored at a different agency. Excusing away with "tactical advantage" by people and to people who truly have never TRAINED for any tactics is like complaining about how bad one plays piano without ever taking a lesson. Again, I respect you approach, heck... I think it's healthy to debate ones feelings. But, to present that a method of carry is in someway wrong by saying it invites the criminals to shoot them first is quite honestly obtuse (unless your stack of certs, service, and training trump mine). ;)

Lol, no offense taken and I really should have stated at the beginning that this was my opinion and I didn't mean it to be a gospel truth.

I have no law enforcement or military training. I have carried legally for 20 years. I have drawn twice, and one was a failure on my part. I didn't need that pack of cigarettes so badly I had to pull off the interstate in a neighborhood I new was THAT bad at 2am, and I should have noticed someone approaching my vehicle before they were half way into the passanger seat. The second was a prowler in my back yard at 3 am, not sure that is relevant as I was at home.

Oh, never fired in either situation, and grateful for it.

I also want to add my wife and I have been fighting for three days over some bull #@$# so I probably am feeling argumentative, irrational, and generally being an ass. At least that's what I've heard.

Last edited:
I hate to object, or be the black fly in the ointment but open carry is legal in Georgia WITHOUT a probate issued permit. It may be frowned upon by the more urban areas, but OCGA allows for open carry and carrying loaded in the dash (glovebox) and center console of your vehicle without permit. I have spoken with my State Senator and understand there is strong momentum for doing away with the carry permit in Georgia, taking a more Constitutional stand.
You might want to be careful with that statement, you need to be more specific as someone might read your post and make a mistake following your info.

The law is specific between handguns and long guns, as well as on your person vs. in a vehicle; Although "carry" of either in your vehicle is legal without a GWCL/GFL, it is not legal to "carry" a handgun on your person (whether CC or OC) without a GWCL/GFL, unless otherwise exempted, or, unless on your property or inside your home/vehicle/place of business.

Now, as long as you are not prohibited from owning a firearm, it is legal to carry a long gun on your person without a GWCL/GFL (as long as the location is not off-limits).

Feel free to check OCGA codes 16-11-125 through 16-11-129, or, visit http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php for detailed info

just sayin.......

Last edited:
You might want to be careful with that statement, you need to be more specific as someone might read your post and make a mistake following your info.

The law is specific between handguns and long guns, as well as on your person vs. in a vehicle; Although "carry" of either in your vehicle is legal without a GWCL/GFL, it is not legal to "carry" a handgun on your person (whether CC or OC) without a GWCL/GFL, unless otherwise exempted. Now, as long as you are not prohibited from owning a firearm, it is legal to carry a long gun on your person without a GWCL/GFL.

feel free to check OCGA codes 16-11-125 through 16-11-129, or, visit http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php for detailed info

just sayin.......
thats what i thought

to carry a pistol, you need a permit, regardless of OC or concealed

Back
Top Bottom