• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Open Carry?

To have a life without discharging a firearm taking a life, to preserve life should be everyone's prayer.

I have really found that the debate and discussion as a general rule here really is great. I have gotten a lot from the members here. I need to go ahead and become a sponsor, for what I have gotten here its well worth my support,

You might want to be careful with that statement, you need to be more specific as someone might read your post and make a mistake following your info.

The law is specific between handguns and long guns, as well as on your person vs. in a vehicle; Although "carry" of either in your vehicle is legal without a GWCL/GFL, it is not legal to "carry" a handgun on your person (whether CC or OC) without a GWCL/GFL, unless otherwise exempted, or, unless on your property or inside your home/vehicle/place of business.

Now, as long as you are not prohibited from owning a firearm, it is legal to carry a long gun on your person without a GWCL/GFL (as long as the location is not off-limits).

Feel free to check OCGA codes 16-11-125 through 16-11-129, or, visit http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php for detailed info

just sayin.......

Yikes... Thank you, I just read over my post and YOU ARE CORRECT. 5am to get in a deer stand this morning has me tired, and honestly that is a careless wording. Thank you for the graceful correction.

i edit my post to reflect so.

Last edited:
Yikes... Thank you, I just read over my post and YOU ARE CORRECT. 5am to get in a deer stand this morning has me tired, and honestly that is a careless wording. Thank you for the graceful correction.

i edit my post to reflect so.
No sweat, and my thanks to you for your service as LEO/MIL, greatly appreciated! :thumb:

I learned a great deal (before activley carrying) by reading up at http://www.georgiapacking.org/index.php and http://www.georgiacarry.org/ Its good reading for us Non-LEOs/MIL to stay up-to-date

Hopefully Christian Coomer, Barry Laudermilk, and others at the Statehouse will successfully get a Constitutional Carry law in place next year clearing all the confusion. You would still need a permit for the sake of reciprocity, but here at home it would follow the Constitution.

Hopefully Christian Coomer, Barry Laudermilk, and others at the Statehouse will successfully get a Constitutional Carry law in place next year clearing all the confusion. You would still need a permit for the sake of reciprocity, but here at home it would follow the Constitution.
your right, we really shouldnt need a permit to carry in our home state

im just glad its not like new york or cali

so a crime is deterred based on an open carriers perception of what he considers to be a sketchy person, observing a weapon, and then leaving becaus otherwise they would have committed a crime? i dont see that. doesnt make sense to me, hell most criminals wont commit a crime if there are even more than one or two witness's or people around

this idea here is really baseless conjecture

That is a problem with arguing for deterrence, I agree. It's hard to measure crimes which don't take place. Every once in a while, though, we get confirmation...such as the Waffle House incident where the criminals, having opted not to rob the Waffle House and having been subsequently apprehended by the police, admitted that it was the presence of the armed citizens that deterred them.

There is also this study done which indicated that criminals fear armed citizens:

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/a...ica.aspx?s="Crime+&+Criminal+Justice"&st=&ps=

again, feel free to open carry if you want. i have done it before. but i would think it to be a wiser and safer decision to not show anyone you are armed. it gives you a clear advantage

There are pros and cons to each type of carry, each weapon one might carry, different holsters, and so on and so on. No one answer is right for everyone. Any choice you make might net you some advantages, but you'll pick up some disadvantages, as well.

Heck, I'm very happy thus far with GA gun laws (compared to back home in OH), as well as compared to many other states I've worked in lately.

It could be much worse .... I was just in TX recently where, even with my reciprocated GWCL/GFL, it is ilegal to OC, or even PRINT while CC'ing .... and not to mention the fact that we don't need to involve a FFL holder here in GA for a person-to-person trade/sale like you must in many other states!!

I have come to realize that most states won't honor the GA license / reciprocity due to GA not requiring training to obtain a license, some do, but still frown on it (IE: TX).

Sorry, got off topic with my posts ...... let me get it back on track: I OC more than I CC, because I'm fat, it's more comfortable to me during the summer, think that it is a deterrent to Most evil-doers, and not a huge believer in that I will be targeted first.....

My $0.02 has been donated ;)

Last edited:
This sounds like a traumatic experience. Do you have any more details of the situation that caused you to voluntarily give up your right right to openly carry a handgun?

It's was at the local fair, I talked about this in another thread on here that some one started about carrying at the GA national Fair. I knew that the public gathering law had been changed and they had no signs so that's why I did. I had even talked to a couple of the LEO that were working that I'm friends with and they seen it and didn't say anything, but when an older officer seen it he said something. Laws change and they don't keep up

Back
Top Bottom